No announcement yet.

solo defense training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    I think my suggested routine is a good alternative to your "actual punches" exercise, if you don't have a dance partner.

I try to visualize actual punches coming at me and I think my solo practice has helped me when I do spar and have to slip actual punches.

In my routine, I try not to make it predictable. That's why I'll slip left, two-three times rather than the typical left-right slips. I mix it up the best I can. Also, I think it's productive to practice slips/weaves when you're shadow boxing..
    I didn't say practicing slips during shadow-boxing isn't productive. I'm simply saying that having a premeditated combination of slips isn't of any value for most styles of fighters.

When in the world are you going to need to slip to the left three times in a row?

I slip when the other guy throws a punch. I'm not going to move my head when there isn't a punch (real or imaginary) to slip. Practiced-patterns of slipping and constant head movement are worthless to many boxers. If you're a Hank Armstrong type, I can understand a constant array of head movement, but for a classic-styled boxer... no need.

Slips for me are a response to the opponent's actions, not a planned initiative.

No offense intended. If it works for you, great. I just disagree in part.
    Last edited by SBleeder; 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Everything you do should be a solo defensive workout. When you hit the heavy bag, avoid the punch first. Use the link below, read all of that then base youyr wokouts around it, especially the elements of attack part.
      http://www.scribd.com/doc/14747532/B...n-Haislet-1940

Comment

When you havent got a punch to slip you have to imagine it! Isnt that the whole point?

Why wouldnt you ever slip to the left or right 3 times in a row? You dont know that cos you dont have an opponent, it could be just slipping constant jabs.

Anyway for solo routines its down to imagination you can do what you want.

Comment

Maize bag.

Comment

Working...
          X