No announcement yet.

Article on Roc Nation struggles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Undisput3d View Post
    If ward didn't need the money why would he be trying to get paid millions to fight bums? Why does he still have this illusion that Chavez Jr will fight him?Quite obvious he needs the money now if I offer you a contract for said number of fight and they're all underwhelming in terms of revenue then I'm forced to do something drastic to break even.Pretty sure kovalev doesn't have any fights booked at the moment.Nah though ward wants the big paydays to fight bums in Oakland.
    There's a difference between needing and wanting money. In the sense of wanting it, everyone needs money.

But, Ward had already refused fights under Goosen, before the injury, because the money and opponents were not right. So we know Ward is willing to sit out and earn nothing if he doesn't like the offer. That is not the action of a man desperate for money. Ward openly said, he is fine with not ever fighting again if the right fights don't come, as he has already proven himself.

Many fighters will simply refuse to fight if things are not to their liking, see Mikey Garcia, Chavez Jr., or Kirkland among tons of fighters who are like this.

Plus, Ward just got a massive bonus from Jay Z, making him need money even less.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Good read. Roc learning how the sport really works. Not as easy as it seems.

I thought the Shaw partnership was going to be a big deal.

Ward is in a tough spot.
      I've never seen a guy with such bad management luck. It would seem that he's going to be the cash cow for ROC, one to two times a year.

Comment

What is a good way to make 5 million being in boxing? Spend 500 million~

You can come in and do what GBP did only if you have the guy the company is named after (or something like that, sorry but Ward ain't that). That is by far the hardest part to get and building one of your own takes time and money. Unless you have a true top end star it is hard to do more than stay afloat, some boxing guys can do a bit better but those are experienced guys who know what exactly they are doing which would not be ROC nation.

Trying to Howard Hughes boxing is a good idea, Mr. Carter is probably about 3 or 4 zero shy of being able to do such a thing. Got to know your limitations~

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post

on what network?

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post

Meh, either they're desperate or just talking to try and make Andre relevant again. Kovalev is starting to make a big name for himself, especially after Pascal. Maybe Ward tries to head him off and take a Stevenson fight? If Ward was smart, he'd be headlining that Fox card in March and back again in June for a more serious fight.

Comment

I am sure that the people who are behind Roc Nation had enough sense to know that it will take three to four years to establish themselves and become a champion in the boxing promotion business. What they are experiencing right now is the same thing that every new business experiences -- trials and tribulations. I believe that they have the money, resources and patience to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                  I am sure that the people who are behind Roc Nation had enough sense to know that it will take three to four years to establish themselves and become a champion in the boxing promotion business. What they are experiencing right now is the same thing that every new business experiences -- trials and tribulations. I believe that they have the money, resources and patience to be successful.
                  I'm not so sure they understand the system.They definitely stepped on a lot of toes with their entrance into boxing. Basically they did it the total opposite way of how haymon did it and they thought that by swinging their wallets arohnd, fighters would flock to them? Why would they when u have no proven track record and no connection to biggest networks, promoters and fighters in the game? Hopefully they right the ship because I think it could work for them but it's about eastablish in ng relationships and working your way from the ground up.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                    Ward is delusional.
                    He wants top dollar, but cannot get it in the US. He should have taken the Kessler fight in Denmark thereby getting a career payday. Unfortunately his fear of flying is greater than his love for money.

Seriously I dont understand it. Kessler out of the ring for two years. A career high purse against a fighter he already beat and most say he'd handle easy. In other words a fantastic tune up. I find it odd.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                      They do have experienced people. I think they're done trying to grab other people's people and building their own now. Let's see who else they sign in the coming days.... I hope it's diverse

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Meh, either they're desperate or just talking to try and make Andre relevant again. Kovalev is starting to make a big name for himself, especially after Pascal. Maybe Ward tries to head him off and take a Stevenson fight? If Ward was smart, he'd be headlining that Fox card in March and back again in June for a more serious fight.
                      There'll probably be no money in it for anybody.... but nobody else will take his tune-up.

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                      on what network?
                      So far, HBO and Sho have no interest in big money for tune-ups

Comment

Working...
                      X