No announcement yet.

How the Welter Division Can Be Unified Within a Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Welter Division Can Be Unified Within a Year

We can have a defacto welter tornament now that the feud is over.

Ortiz-Senchenko, Bradley-Zaveck in an HBO doubleheader later this summer. The winners take on eachother in the late fall/winter, the winner of that fights Pacquiao in the Spring.

We'd have a unified, RING, and perhaps lineal champion at welter by this time next year.

But Paulie and Berto are trying to throw salt on my game though...

Not going to happen, although it sounds nice. I think Paulie will get fed to Ortiz. If he's going to fight at 147, then he should go after Zaveck himself. It just doesn't fit the likely GB agenda. I wish Pac would just fight Ortiz next year to unify their 2 belts. That would be good enough for me.

Comment

so basically Bradley and Ortiz need to clean out the division

and then fight Manny

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        so basically Bradley and Ortiz need to clean out the division

and then fight Manny
        Basically.

No way you can pay Manny his minimum $15-$20 mil to fight Zaveck and Senchenko. That's the nature of the business. Plus, Pacquiao already took out anyone that was anyone in the division from '09 on.

Comment

Bradley? as in Tim Bradley?

HBO is not going to give airtime to two unknown Eastern European champions. The only way Zavec gets on the network is if Berto decides he's ready to be right back in the mix and fight him. Personally I think Berto should get a new trainer and come back against a soft touch.

As for Ortiz; he'll never fight Senchenko. Why would he and where? Canelo offered Senchenko something like 350-400k to fight him in Cali and he didn't bite. How would Ortiz offer him more, when the fight is more dangerous and Ortiz is a champ expecting to get paid as well? HBO would much rather show Ortiz in a hot fight like the Maidana rematch or against another Latino or American fighter.

Plus it looks like Ortiz is talking with Team Mayweather, regardless of his team denying it.

Not trying to tear down your fantasy, man, but unifying the belts is not a priority in boxing these days unless there's big money involved and both beltholders are big names. Remember Berto wanted to unify with Zavec and Senchenko about 18 months ago, and HBO told him to forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Bradley? as in Tim Bradley?

HBO is not going to give airtime to two unknown Eastern European champions. The only way Zavec gets on the network is if Berto decides he's ready to be right back in the mix and fight him. Personally I think Berto should get a new trainer and come back against a soft touch.

As for Ortiz; he'll never fight Senchenko. Why would he and where? Canelo offered Senchenko something like 350-400k to fight him in Cali and he didn't bite. How would Ortiz offer him more, when the fight is more dangerous and Ortiz is a champ expecting to get paid as well? HBO would much rather show Ortiz in a hot fight like the Maidana rematch or against another Latino or American fighter.

Plus it looks like Ortiz is talking with Team Mayweather, regardless of his team denying it.

Not trying to tear down your fantasy, man, but unifying the belts is not a priority in boxing these days unless there's big money involved and both beltholders are big names. Remember Berto wanted to unify with Zavec and Senchenko about 18 months ago, and HBO told him to forget it.
            Why you gotta go and crush my dream?

Comment

How the Welter Division Can Be Unified Within a Year
              sergio can't wait 2 call out the unified WW champ.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                Why you gotta go and crush my dream?
                Haha man you know I just have to keep it real. I'd love to see a unification tournament like Don Kings's 160 tournament back in 2001.

What's more likely to happen in my opinion is eventually someone like, say... Mike Alvarado for example... will grab the WBO or IBF title by going to Europe and winning it against the champ in an fight thats un-televised in America. Then, one of the big name guys like Tim Bradley or Amir Khan will have HBO offer the guy a big payday to put his belt on the line against him.

They'll spark him out on HBO and a 147 star will be born.

Comment

Working...
                X