Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling back your punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There really is only 1 way to throw each punch!!! If you throw them properly, from your feet, up through your hips and shoulders, you don't pull them back.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      There really is only 1 way to throw each punch!!! If you throw them properly, from your feet, up through your hips and shoulders, you don't pull them back.
      AMEN TADAT!!!!

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      Ive heard the advise that you should pull back your punches after throwing them out!

Well my punches snap back all by themselves and quickly.

Is this advise poor advise or good advise and why?
      Ya, you pull your punches back, but only after you finish the shot. Which means that you punch THROUGH your target, this is where the power and the physics of the power come into play. When you gain more experience you will know exactly when your shot should finish. When it reaches that point then you quickly bring it back to gaurd.

If I were to fight a guy who 'pulled his punches' I would gladly eat his marshmellows while walking through them to get inside to bust up his face some more.

Pulling punches is for karate, which only teaches to 'defend'. We teach how to 'defend' in boxing aswell but we will also focus on how to 'offend'. That is why if anybody that I work with, if they come in bragging about fighting in the streets I will drop them cold turkey, no pun intended.

Just like dinner, FINISH your shots!!! .......... Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Im whipping my midsection. (and going through the target) Thats why the punches snap back all by themselves. (question answered, for me to pull back may be pointless and may even impede the speed at which my punches come back, I dont know)

Most boxers keep the midsection as one solid unit, by isometrically contracting the muscles of the midsection.

Thats why they probably have to pull back their punches after they have gone through the target (unless they get good shoulder snap and the snap from twisting their hand/arm)

Some karate guys may pull their punches back in a weak way without going through the target first. This is a really light punch compared to the above boxing variations.

My new question is which variation of a boxers punch is more powerful?

With snap in the midsection?

Or without it?

With snap in the midsection the punches definitely reach a higher peak speed.

Some say they are more powerful some say they are less powerful.
        Last edited by AlexKid; 01-03-2014, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          Thanks Grey I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            AMEN TADAT!!!!

Just like dinner, FINISH your shots!!! .......... Rockin'
            LOL

I agree with that too even though they appear to be contradicting each other they are not.

LMAO at Marsh-mellows!

Comment

Damn this kid is serious about learning some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwitch View Post
                Damn this kid is serious about learning some stuff.
                xD

Comment

Rockin' knows his stuff mind. Fair play

Comment

Originally posted by greenwitch View Post
                    Rockin' knows his stuff mind. Fair play
                    Yea its better tuition on here than in most gyms!

Comment

Lol i wouldn't say that, because a guy on here. Can't physically instruct you, like grab your hand and show you what you're doing wrong.

Someone called you a troll. I know all about trolling, and i know all about boxing too.

And without being insulting, but it feels like you don't feel comfortable walking into a gym yet. Which is fine but.

The longer you put it off, the worse it's gonna be Alex

Comment

Working...
                      X