Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garcia-Khan: Re-watched. Opinions please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garcia-Khan: Re-watched. Opinions please.

There has been a bit of a divide on the forum with regards to the Khan-Garcia fight. Some believe Garcia landed a lucky punch and Khan was boxing his head off and some believe that Garcia was starting to get Khans timing down and the KO was coming. I would like some opinions and sensible comments, bias fan boys need not post.

When I first watched the fight I believed that Khan was boxing his head off, I thought he was on his way to a UD, maybe even a stoppage on cuts. Khan won the first 2rds without a doubt.

After reading the forum over the last couple of days I decided to watch the fight again, a little more carefully this time. After the second watch I'm now in the camp that believes Garcia was starting to figure Khan out. If you watch the fight minute by minute Garcia was constantly improving, in the first minute of the first round Khan couldnt miss Garcia with his right hand, towards the end of the round Garcia had started to adjust to the speed the right hand wasn't hitting as much. Manny Steward even commented at the end of the first and part way through the second that Garcia had figured out Khan's right hand.

If you decide to watch the fight again pay attention to how many times Garcia was starting to catch Khan with his looping counters, he didn't catch him clean until that third round, Garcia wasn't/isn't the most accurate of fighters but he knew what he needed to do. He through those strong counters over and over, at the end of the exchanges it was a Garcia counter that was knocking Khan off balance. I don't think they were necessarily hurting Khan, quite a lot landed on the gloves, but you could tell how strong they were, Khan stumbled quite a few times and had to reset.

I personally think the change came in towards the end of the second and during the third when Garcia noticeably started working the body, Khan was less active in the third round and I believe he may have looked a little hurt, I'm not sure which punch hurt him (or if it was the body work over all) but Khan's elbows were definitely noticeably more tucked in during the third, he was also circling for much longer before attacking while Garcia held the centre of the ring.

Personally, after that re-watch I can see what people have been saying, the KO was coming. Garcia was pretty underrated, to me he proved hes a smart fighter, even when Khan was hurt he didn't go mad and punch himself out, he took his time, that's the sign of a good finisher.

I know it's been done to death, but this decision has reared its head again recently so I thought I'd get everyone's opinion in the same thread.
    Last edited by Sage84; 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM.

I would really need to watch it again to give an opinion. If anyone else feels like doing so:

Comment

I suggest if you watch the fight again do so with the sound off. The commentary is very bias in Khan's favor exaggerates everything he is really doing and completely downplays Garcia's work.
      As the fight progresses you can see Garcia is working Khan out and catches his attacks better, his counters were getting better also and both the right hand and left hooks were landing. The key moment for me when I knew Khan was finished was the impressive body attack ,Khan could not deal with it and his demeanor changed when I saw that I suspected it was only a matter of time before he was taken out. The lucky punch excuse is pure myth. The way the story is spun is that Khan blew it rather than Garcia won it that is total garbage IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        I would really need to watch it again to give an opinion.
        That's how I thought, after reading all the comments on over the last few days. I re-watched and had a good close look at what was happening in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
          I suggest if you watch the fight again do so with the sound off. The commentary is very bias in Khan's favor exaggerates everything he is really doing and completely downplays Garcia's work.
          As the fight progresses you can see Garcia is working Khan out and catches his attacks better, his counters were getting better also and both the right hand and left hooks were landing. The key moment for me when I knew Khan was finished was the impressive body attack ,Khan could not deal with it and his demeanor changed when I saw that I suspected it was only a matter of time before he was taken out. The lucky punch excuse is pure myth. The way the story is spun is that Khan blew it rather than Garcia won it that is total garbage IMO.
          I watched with the commentary on but I never give it too much credit away, I know broadcasters have agendas, I'm confident that I can see through it. I still came out with the opinion that Garcia was coming on strong. In my first post I mention everything you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            I would really need to watch it again to give an opinion. If anyone else feels like doing so:

Thanks for the link.

WATCH IT WITH THE SOUND OFF.

The commentary is bias.

Comment

Garcia was winning the 3rd rd imo before the KD...So I would say yes he was coming on..He had Khan's timing,and Khan does not know how to adjust..Something I hope Hunter is trying to show him..Garcia would block his first 3 punches and then punch with Khan..Very smart move and perfectly timed...

Comment

I wouldnt call it lucky. Garcia definetly wasnt looking when he threw that left hook. Alot of fighters do that. Shane Mosley throws bombs without looking all the time. Pacquiao put Hatton to sleep with his head down. Wouldnt call it luck. More like wishfull thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                  I wouldnt call it lucky. Garcia definetly wasnt looking when he threw that left hook. Alot of fighters do that. Shane Mosley throws bombs without looking all the time. Pacquiao put Hatton to sleep with his head down. Wouldnt call it luck. More like wishfull thinking.
                  More like timing...If a fighter knows where another fighter is going to be why take the on coming punch??In Garcia's case he knew Khan would throw that same combination he'd been throwing the whole fight and knew where his head would be..Same for Pac and Mosley..All fighters with very good timing...

Comment

Triple post sorry
                    Last edited by Cleaver; 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM. Reason: App issue

Comment

Working...
                    X