No announcement yet.

Someone Explain Cotto's Jabbing Technique to Me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
    If I'm Floyd I wouldn't jab with Cotto. Floyd has an excellent jab, don't get me wrong, it's just not his game anymore. I've never seen Cotto get outjabbed....but I've seen him have trouble with leads.

Pacquiao took Cotto's jab away by beating Miguel to the punch with his lead left and countering over the jab with his right hook. When he tried to jab with Cotto he was losing.

Now obviously Floyd's a much better jabber than Pac but he doesn't need the jab to beat Cotto...shoot that straight right and Cotto won't bother jabbing anymore.
    some of that stuff was because of the stance. Pac was a Southpaw. Also, Floyd jabs more and throws less straight rights when he's fighting a righty. He'll throw the jab more then he did with a guy like Ortiz because Cotto's a righty. He'll also throw more left hooks against Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
      some of that stuff was because of the stance. Pac was a Southpaw. Also, Floyd jabs more and throws less straight rights when he's fighting a righty. He'll throw the jab more then he did with a guy like Ortiz because Cotto's a righty. He'll also throw more left hooks against Cotto
      He also hasn't faced a jabber since Oscar. Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz...none of them jab.

The best way to take away Cotto's jab is the lead right over the top......just so happens to be Floyd's best punch especially when you consider the reach advantage he'll have over Cotto that he didn't have with Oscar.

Comment

Cotto uses a jolt-like jab to put more of his weight behind the punch.

He has tons of trouble with this against fast opponents such as Pacquaio and Zab Judah, who used right and left hand counters, respectively, to catch him coming in.

Zab put him on queer street twice with two solid power shots and Pacquaio seemed to make him hesitant to open up which led to him being picked apart.

Mayweather will undoubtedly go for the second option and use the right hand counter to work his way into more offense.

Comment

Cotto leaping jap

A big part of it is because he has short arms

Comment

I dont think Floyd will use the right hand counters as much as people think. Thats his favorite thing to do against a righties jab but remember that Cotto lunges wit it so it makes it much harder to counter over the top with that right. Zab & Pac are Southpaws. I think Floyd will counter his jab with check hooks and uppercuts like he landed on Jesus Chavez

Comment

I dont think Floyd will use the right hand counters as much as people think. Thats his favorite thing to do against a righties jab but remember that Cotto lunges wit it so it makes it much harder to counter over the top with that right. Zab & Pac are Southpaws. I think Floyd will counter his jab with check hooks and uppercuts like he landed on Jesus Chavez
              Mayweather should want Cotto lunging forward into his right hand. It makes the right hand even stronger and, should Floyd start to load up, could lead to Cotto being stunned early which would shake his confidence.

Comment

I have confidence he won't land many check hooks.

This is gonna sound weird but Cotto's my favorite fighter and I've followed his career extremely closely....for all of his defensive flaws(of which there are many) for whatever reason he very rarely gets hit with left hooks.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one....once Floyd has his sense of distance I think he's gonna start countering over that jab with his right hand and that'll be all she wrote in terms of Cotto being competitive.

Props to everyone in this thread though....nice to have a rational discussion on tactics for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  why does is it that he jumps hard like he's flying whenever he shoots his jab?
                  Because he's trying to make it land and hurt them. Anymore questions like why is the sky blue?

Comment

He telegraphs his jab to much

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                      I have confidence he won't land many check hooks.

This is gonna sound weird but Cotto's my favorite fighter and I've followed his career extremely closely....for all of his defensive flaws(of which there are many) for whatever reason he very rarely gets hit with left hooks.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one....once Floyd has his sense of distance I think he's gonna start countering over that jab with his right hand and that'll be all she wrote in terms of Cotto being competitive.

Props to everyone in this thread though....nice to have a rational discussion on tactics for a change.
                      The way his hands are positioned to the sides for his high guard do a great job at protecting him from punches that aren't straight. Cotto's guard was very good at shielding him from the brawling, wild shots of Mayorga and margarito.

His guard is a good in the sense that it limits the effectiveness of arcing punches. This is important because our necks have two muscles acting as shock absorbers to take impact. Only one muscle will be handling the force of punches that do not connect head on such as hooks. If you get hit head on with straight punches, both of these muscles will be activated. Hooks are also harder to see if thrown properly, so they cause the most knockouts. Miguel understands the danger of the punch and has chosen to hold his hands the way he does.

So his guard protects him from hooks, but it sells him out for straighter punches. manny couldn't miss with his straight left onto Cotto's face. Cotto exaggerates his chin tuck to protect the more sensitive areas of the face from the straight punches he's open to, but as we have seen this makes him famous for eating uppercuts.
                      Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X