No announcement yet.

All potential American HW greats goes to Football instead of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Oh and the US still has the best boxers P4P of any country.
    You're probably forgetting Danny Williams there.

As for this thread and the TS, how many times have we read the same **** now? I don't expect to be surprised by NSB, but **** me...

Comment

Aside from Wlad, Vitali, and Haye.....the division is in bad shape.

There's some up and comers who look decent enough though. David Price, Mike Perez, Deontay Wilder, Malik Scott, Bryant Jennings, and even guys like Denis Boytsov and Kubrat Pulev look decent enough so far.

We'll see what happens. There's some younger potential there.

Comment

Originally posted by John Åge View Post
        Come on guys - I really do like US and has family connections in NY. I am just tired of US folks saying that they do not dominate the HW scene due to other sports - or because HW is in bad shape.

US is still the nation with the most world-champs.

why is it that you think this way?

our two best HW prospects are / were former basketball and football players. both got very late starts in boxing. wilder won olympic bronze with just over 20 fights leading in to the trials. mitchell started boxing at 25.

mitchell and wilder are great examples of why the theory is sound. there's no great shame in losing in mitchell's case. it's not at all an indictment of his potential as a fighter that he was unable to win a big HBO fight with only five years of experience with boxing.

mitchell and wilder type athletes are common in the NBA. thats all you've got. huge men with athletic talent. to think that the division wouldn't be better off without these two sports is wrong. i'm not saying that the americans would be preordained great fighters, but they're a hell of a lot better off than the tony thompson's of the world, who have no talent. or the chambers of the world, who is really only a LHW or a CW.

these guys are huge and talented. if you guys were more familiar with the leagues i think you'd be more likely to see why the theory is supported universally by american boxing media.

Comment

Thank you New England. I remember visiting Ron Lyle's gym in Northeast Denver when I was a little kid in the late 80's, and there were tons and tons of HW size kids training in there. I went back to his gym again a few years ago before he died, and there were virtually NO HW size athletes training in his gym. It was all smaller weight kids ranging from 120-160 mostly.

But it's not just the US, the division as a whole is weaker than it's ever been aside from 3 fighters. There's some younger potential out there though, so we'll see what happens. Malik Scott is BY FAR the most gifted American HW and the most pure fighter skill wise.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Thank you New England. I remember visiting Ron Lyle's gym in Northeast Denver when I was a little kid in the late 80's, and there were tons and tons of HW size kids training in there. I went back to his gym again a few years ago before he died, and there were virtually NO HW size athletes training in his gym. It was all smaller weight kids ranging from 120-160 mostly.

But it's not just the US, the division as a whole is weaker than it's ever been aside from 3 fighters. There's some younger potential out there though, so we'll see what happens. Malik Scott is BY FAR the most gifted American HW and the most pure fighter skill wise.

we've got a very different definition of gifts, then, especially at HW. scott can't break a grape.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              we've got a very different definition of gifts, then, especially at HW. scott can't break a grape.
              He lacks power, but in terms of skill I'll take Scott > Wilder and Jennings

Comment

The problem with this theory is that being an excellent athlete doesn't mean you are also an excellent fighter.
                People who thrive in boxing have something more than just athletic ability.
                You know the old cliche.. Boxing is 90% mental

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  why is it that you think this way?

our two best HW prospects are / were former basketball and football players. both got very late starts in boxing. wilder won olympic bronze with just over 20 fights leading in to the trials. mitchell started boxing at 25.

mitchell and wilder are great examples of why the theory is sound. there's no great shame in losing in mitchell's case. it's not at all an indictment of his potential as a fighter that he was unable to win a big HBO fight with only five years of experience with boxing.

mitchell and wilder type athletes are common in the NBA. thats all you've got. huge men with athletic talent. to think that the division wouldn't be better off without these two sports is wrong. i'm not saying that the americans would be preordained great fighters, but they're a hell of a lot better off than the tony thompson's of the world, who have no talent. or the chambers of the world, who is really only a LHW or a CW.

these guys are huge and talented. if you guys were more familiar with the leagues i think you'd be more likely to see why the theory is supported universally by american boxing media.
                  exactly.....

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
                    The problem with this theory is that being an excellent athlete doesn't mean you are also an excellent fighter.
                    People who thrive in boxing have something more than just athletic ability.
                    You know the old cliche.. Boxing is 90% mental
                    being an excellent athlete much better than being a regular guy. most of the current american HW don't have the mental strength to stay away from the buffet and train hard.

being coordinated, strong, huge, and fast is better than being tony thompson.

just think about the argument you're making...

put these guys in a boxing gym at 10 and you'd have dedicate and driven fighters.

Comment

People need to realize that being a worldwide sport, US isn't always going to hold the torch when it comes to boxing anymore. We have to face reality and quit making excuses on the NFL bull****. One day there will a new American great to have that torch and since we all so called love boxing, appreciate the ones ruling it now.

Comment

Working...
                      X