No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Matthysse Training Hard, Aims To KO Peterson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Matthysse Training Hard, Aims To KO Peterson

Exclusive photos from the training camp of WBC interim junior welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse, as he wraps up training camp in Junin, Argentina, ahead of his May 18th clash with IBF titlist Lamont Peterson.

Peterson vs. Matthysse will take place from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City with Showtime televising the proceedings.

For this particular camp, Matthysse has been going several rounds with his countryman and former world title challenger Sebastian Lujan, who is serving as his chief sparring partner. [Click Here To Read More]

Well he's not gonna outbox him...

Comment

That durability of his, coupled with his power and tenacity makes him dangerous for anyone, you don't even have to include the skills. I'm just happy that we're finally gonna see if the hype is real.

Comment

Should be a hell of a matchup cant wait

Comment

Da **** is happening here? Is Godtthysse planning to destroy the UFC as well?

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanEra View Post
            He's outboxed Judah and Devon.

Lucas is a terrific boxer puncher

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanEra View Post
              Peterson said himself he's not worried that much about his power but is more concerned with his boxing skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                That durability of his, coupled with his power and tenacity makes him dangerous for anyone, you don't even have to include the skills. I'm just happy that we're finally gonna see if the hype is real.

i wouldn't call matthysse hype. his power is overrated, but in an era where so few fighters are putting guys down i'll allow it. the guy drops people. we know that he's got power, as evidenced in virtually all of his fights, it's just not the massive power it's made out to be. we know he can take a shot to compensate for his lack of traditional boxing craft, as evidenced by the judah and soto fights. soto touched him up a bit and is a good offensive fighter, and matthysse took it well.

along those lines we know for certain that he's a beast. is he enough of a beast to beat lamont peterson?

the question with every matthysse fight, at least that i ask:
                is matthysse too much of a beast for any gap in skill to matter?

peterson's got a classier approach to boxing, in terms of his skills. he was a top amateur, and he's been in there with top pros and had some success using his toolbox.

is matthysse too much of a beast for peterson to beat him with his boxing? matthysse can be easy to tag, can peterson hurt him? and who will come forward?

i want to know the answer to the last three questions, and can't be certain until they fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
                  Peterson said himself he's not worried that much about his power but is more concerned with his boxing skills.

he's probably talking to himself when he gives that answer.

"i'm concerned about his power." no fighter is going to tell you that. few, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    He's outboxed Judah and Devon.

Lucas is a terrific boxer puncher
                    He is a great boxer-puncher but he didn't outbox Judah. Judah won that fight pretty clearly, IMO. I think he beat Devon but it wasn't due to his boxing. It was his "come-forward and land clean punches" style that won that fight.

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
                    That's just talk. Peterson's the much better boxer and he knows it. The issue is that Matthysse is at least a decent boxer and mixing that with his concussive power is dangerous. Matthysse is certainly for real. I just don't see Peterson having much of a problem using footwork and keeping Lucas on the end of his punches.

Comment

Working...
                    X