Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bert Sugar ''Joe Frazier Is A Greater Heavyweight And Fighter, Than Larry Holmes''

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Holmes is, in my opinion, a marginally greater fighter, but in a direct match-up, he would lose because of their styles (Holmes was similar to Ali, who had huge difficulty with Frazier - if Ali had to struggle that much, Holmes would have no counterplay).

Comment

I easily rate frazier over holmes. Larry holmes alway complains that he is underrated, but I think he deserved his place.

Fazier beat ALi when he was closest to his prime whereas holmes beat an old man with parkinsons and heat stroke.
      Last edited by Vadrigar.; 06-13-2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by .Paulie. View Post
        What do you think about these comments?

TBH, I just don't feel Frazier was a greater fighter than Holmes......

But I also feel Bert's ratings are crazy and feel his knowlodge is overrated!

Paulie
        Bert is correct... Frazier would KO Holmes

Comment

I can't really pick who would win prime for prime, but as far as greatness is concerned, Larry Holmes should be ranked higher than Frazier IMO.

Holmes went 48-0, and has the 2nd most title defenses ever for a Heavyweight champ. He also fought into the 2000's and took Ray Mercer''s 0.

Frazier's performance against Foreman really hurts. I don't know if he could ever beat Foreman, under any circumstances, in any universe.

Comment

The Joe Frazier who beat Muhammad Ali in the fight of the century in March 1971 would stop Holmes in the later rounds.

Joe is a slow starter and i see Holmes winning most of the early rounds,then Frazier would start smoking in the middle rounds and wear down Holmes with his wicked body shots.Kill the body and the head will die,is what would happen in this fight.

I would have Holmes ahead in rounds,but very weary and worn out when Frazier stops him anywhere from rounds 11-13.

Comment

P4P Frazier > Holmes.
              H2H , I rank Holmes higher despite I think Frazier has a better chance at defeating Holmes than vice versa. Holmes was less mobile than Ali and had a somewhat weaker chin. Frazier decked Ali , mind you.
              The reason why I still rank Holmes higher H2H is because I give him better chance at defeating other fighters. I doubt if Frazier would have fared as well as Holmes against McCall , Holyfield , James Smith and maybe even butterbean.
              And remember the age Holmes was when he fought butterbean.
              What gives Holmes this advantage is simply his size advantage.

Comment

Working...
              X