Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins wouldn't be as great if he fought dudes his size...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stinson. View Post
    and i suppose physically Hopkins is much stronger than Pascal?!

Your implication is that when on a level playing field then Hopkins can't achieve what he has. Regardless of the loses to Taylor (a split and mixed decision btw) he still didn't lose because of a size issue.

He fights a prime Roy an inch and a half smaller than him who has fought his last three fights at super-middleweight and gets out-speed... not out-punched and prime Roy hit hard.

Trinidad knocks out middleweight William Joppy in the fourth? So he's physically strong...

I think the only fighters you can't argue were made for the weight were Pavlik, De La Hoya and Winky

That's out of Roy, Taylor, Pascal, Tarver, Calzaghe

Thinking about it, i agree and i disagree at the same time. Just that his losses weren't too do with size issues... nor were his wins, it's his movement and his technique that wins him fights; not necessarily reach and all the stuff that come with being a bigger fighter.

the guy has fought 10 fighters with perfect records... it's not like he really cherrypicks his opponents, most of these people were still favoured to win.
    at the end of the day hopkins wins fights by using his size and strength advantages to mug, maul, lowblow, rabbit punch, and physically lean on his weaker opponents and force 'em to submit like its a wrestling match...in the winky wright fight, he was getting outboxed by winky without landing much, so he resorted to leaning on winky's back to wear him down...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      at the end of the day hopkins wins fights by using his size and strength advantages to mug, maul, lowblow, rabbit punch, and physically lean on his weaker opponents and force 'em to submit like its a wrestling match
      So what was your take on his performance Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        So what was your take on his performance Saturday?
        i didn't see the fight yet, but judging by what i read, it was another too little, too late performance by hopkins with no ko to seal the deal...i see there were two knockdowns, so apparently his chin isn't the granite that it is against two divisions smaller fighters...

Comment

Originally posted by Stinson. View Post
          and i suppose physically Hopkins is much stronger than Pascal?!

Your implication is that when on a level playing field then Hopkins can't achieve what he has. Regardless of the loses to Taylor (a split and mixed decision btw) he still didn't lose because of a size issue.

He fights a prime Roy an inch and a half smaller than him who has fought his last three fights at super-middleweight and gets out-speed... not out-punched and prime Roy hit hard.

Trinidad knocks out middleweight William Joppy in the fourth? So he's physically strong...

I think the only fighters you can't argue were made for the weight were Pavlik, De La Hoya and Winky

That's out of Roy, Taylor, Pascal, Tarver, Calzaghe

Thinking about it, i agree and i disagree at the same time. Just that his losses weren't too do with size issues... nor were his wins, it's his movement and his technique that wins him fights; not necessarily reach and all the stuff that come with being a bigger fighter.

the guy has fought 10 fighters with perfect records... it's not like he really cherrypicks his opponents, most of these people were still favoured to win.
          I agree with everything you said except for pavlik who is clearly a much larger man than B-Hop.

Comment

i didn't see the fight yet, but judging by what i read, it was another too little, too late performance by hopkins with no ko to seal the deal...i see there were two knockdowns, so apparently his chin isn't the granite that it is against two divisions smaller fighters...
            When he fought monster puncher Kelly Pavlik (won 36 - KO 32) his chin looked just fine.. just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by mannyman View Post
              When he fought monster puncher Kelly Pavlik (won 36 - KO 32) his chin looked just fine.. just sayin'
              pavlik to the rescue...lol...

pavlik yeah was a monster puncher...at 160

he was untested against a natural lightheavy...

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
                I agree with everything you said except for pavlik who is clearly a much larger man than B-Hop.
                pavlik was TALLER than b-hop...at 170, pavlik looked like a stringbean against nard...his chest was as scrawny as that dudes in the back of the comic books who used to get sand kicked on him....

Comment

So its now hopkins fault what shape the boxers body has? pavlik was never had an impressive physique, and if you're gonna go ****sexual in this thread, compare williams joppys upper body to hopkins, isn't he the bigger man?

Comment

pavlik to the rescue...lol...

pavlik yeah was a monster puncher...at 160

he was untested against a natural lightheavy...
                    Natural LHW? He was a MW for 15 years!?

Also, they fought at 170... not his 'natural' 175 LHW limit. So according to you he was weight drained for this fight? Which is even more testament to his chin.

Comment

This is BS. Hopkins schooled LHW champ Pascal in his own backyard at 45 years old, quit with these silly assumptions. Hopkins lost a very close fight to Calzaghe, even some dispute Hopkins should have won a decision.

Hopkins gives any LHW hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X