No announcement yet.

im thinking of taking protein shakes? advice please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im thinking of taking protein shakes? advice please

i usually finish my boxing sessions around 8pm at night and then home by 9pm to eat..

i want to change that around of replacing the evening meal with a protein shake or something that wont affect my weight heavily but will help me recover plus easy to make rather than weight till i get home and shower to have?

are protein shakes any good for boxers like myself and if so, which ones would u recommend to get and do u think i should have more than one a day?

Prepare to fart.... A lot....

Comment

I'm in exactly the same position as you, train late and home at about 9:30pm. I usually have a small meal at about 5pm, then a protein shake when i get home, then to bed. Choose a protein shake without carbs etc if you're worried about weight, however considering your body will be shedding weight while you sleep as a result of your workout it shouldn't matter too much.

Good hard training will help you to shed excess fat however once you've gotten rid of the exess fat your body will cannibalise itself on your muscle, therefore protein is very improtant to maintain muscle. Eating plenty of protein in your diet will help (plenty of carbs too for energy) and the protein shake when you get home will help to maintain that muscle and also help with recovery as well.

Comment

One extra point to agree with Japanese Boxing, don't consume too much protein, i've done it before and my guts were constantly in turmoil. An average diet should give you nearly enough protein, then add just one protein shake a day. I used to have a protein shake for breakfast and after training in addition to my diet - not a good idea. Also your body can only absorb so much protein, the rest will be expelled in the obvious way.

Comment

thanks... which one should i get??

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
            thanks... which one should i get??
            Thats for you to research and pick . Find and experiement with a few intill you find your perfect one.

Comment

Lots of different Goals -

Muscle size and definition

Mass bulk and strength

Diet and body toning

Performance and power

Lean muscle and strength

Masculine health

Daily sports nutrition

Weight management

Muscle strength and support.

http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/

Comment

Protein is beneficial for any athlete for recovery and muscle repair after serious workouts.

I suggest taking casein protein that late in the evening especially if it's your last meal and right before bedtime..it's a slower release protein and helps recovery through out the night without your body going in to "starvation" mode for not eating for the entire 8hrs (average) of the night.

Comment

i know your concerned with your weight, but i would highly recommend an actual meal after a hard workout and then sleep/rest...

after an intense gym session, your body is going to digest/burn calories for several hours afterwards...so maybe a light meal mostly consisting of lean meat/veggies and a bit of carbs and fruit

i usually goto the gym at night and run in the morning, and realized that if i dont eat an actual meal before sleep the night before, i have much less energy to run

Comment

You need to refuel your body after a workout.

The optimal window to do this is within 30mins of finishing your workout.

That is where the protein shake comes in handy, it isn't about putting on mass, it's more to help your muscles recover.

I go to the gym and it takes me a good 45mins to get home and have dinner.

I have a protein shake straight after and then dinner when I get home.

Comment

Working...
                    X