No announcement yet.

Dmitry pirog's success

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steak View Post
    I believe is unique style is created due to a variety of training. Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe Pirog first learned boxing in Eastern European boxing gyms, and then relocated to American gyms and developed a new style based on their training.

both are effective styles, and he has learned to balance and switch between them during fights, which makes his style unpredictable and gives him the beneifts of both styles.

Unfortunately, I think he also still has the negative aspects of both styles, which showed up in one of his more recent fights where he struggled a bit more than his opposition suggested he would.

But, he certainly is interesting to watch.

You mean against Maciel? A really under-rated fighter who is a genuinely solid contender at 154?

Comment

I believe is unique style is created due to a variety of training. Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe Pirog first learned boxing in Eastern European boxing gyms, and then relocated to American gyms and developed a new style based on their training.

both are effective styles, and he has learned to balance and switch between them during fights, which makes his style unpredictable and gives him the beneifts of both styles.

Unfortunately, I think he also still has the negative aspects of both styles, which showed up in one of his more recent fights where he struggled a bit more than his opposition suggested he would.

AFAIK he never trained in the States. There was a long and insightful interview with him on BS, can't find it now. He also had a low key amateur career, so his ring comfort is impressive considering the number of pro fights he's had.

Going into the Jacobs fight, I was interested to see if his style would work against a fast guy, I had my doubts. That didn't prove anything definitive, but it's safe to say he's not slick only in his head like Froch.

The Compubox preview for the Jacobs fight compared Pirog to Margarito, lol.

Comment

PirOG = OG Mo fucka.

He's slicker than oil.

Martinez needs to grow a pair, puto.

Comment

yeah pirog is nice, granted jacobs was a prospect but still, pirog came to him in the us and came to win not just show up and try to win. He's good, and I still see him improving especially if he gets fights I just hope he doesnt get complacent with his current skill set due to a) fighting mostly in europe or b)doesn't get the good fights because people avoid him so he starts losing that hunger. Good guy wish him the best.
          Last edited by {Pito}; 12-09-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

No he never trained or learned anything in the US. Everything is essentially self taught, he trained himself for the start of his pro career and his two current trainers have been a great addition. He has watched film of guys like SRL and taken moves he finds useful effective and amalgamated what he thinks works.

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
            So most of his success is attributed to this mesh of styles correct? That's what I believe as well. Didn't know that he came and trained in the states as well. I'll look it up online but do you know where he went to train?
            He didn't

Originally posted by KmanaG View Post
            You mean against Maciel? A really under-rated fighter who is a genuinely solid contender at 154?
            Pirog also had a neck injury in that fight and almost cancelled. A chiropractor helped him minimize the pain before that fight and he now has one as a part of his team permenetly because of how useful he finds what they do.

Maciel reminded me alot of the Donaire-Narvaez fight, Both were Argentinian guys with a solid high guard D who were just there to survive. It makes for ugly fights and along with Pirogs neck seem to explain that showing. Pirog's last fight vs Martyrosian he looked his old smooth self.
            Last edited by Mikhnienko; 12-10-2011, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Apparently only one notable win is all you need to all of a sudden become the "the truth" for Eastern Euros. Golovkin KO's some scrub, Pirog KO's a fellow prospect and now all of a sudden they are monsters. smh

Comment

Working...
              X