Egypt Asks YouTube to Remove Video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Egypt Asks YouTube to Remove Video

Egypt Asks YouTube to Remove Tahrir Square Sex Assault Video

CAIRO - Egypt has asked YouTube to remove a video showing a naked woman with injuries being dragged through Cairo's Tahrir Square after being sexually assaulted during celebrations for President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi's inauguration.

Sunday night's assault took place as thousands of people enjoyed inauguration festivities, raising new worries about Egypt's commitment to fighting sexual violence.

Authorities arrested seven men aged between 15 and 49 for sexually harassing women on Tahrir Square after the posting of the video, which caused an uproar in local and international media.

It was not clear whether the men arrested took part in the assault shown on the video.

"The Egyptian embassy in Washington, D.C. and a number of Egyptian authorities, at the direction of President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi, have requested the YouTube administration to remove the video of the sexual assault victim," the president's spokesman said.

"This came in response to her wish, which she expressed during the president's visit to her yesterday at the hospital to check on her condition," he added in an emailed statement late on Thursday.

YouTube was not immediately available for comment on the Egyptian request. The clip showing the assault was still available on the video-sharing website early Friday.

Sexual assault was rife at demonstrations during and after the 2011 uprising that ousted veteran president Hosni Mubarak and has been common for a decade at large gatherings in Egypt.

El-Sissi, Egypt's former army chief, won a landslide poll victory last month after deposing elected Islamist president Mohammed Morsi last July.

Sexual harassment, high rates of female genital mutilation and a surge in violence after the Arab Spring uprisings have made Egypt the worst country in the Arab world to be a woman, a Thomson Reuters Foundation survey showed late last year.

If it was truly on the victim's request like it is stated in the article, then the video should be taken down.

Comment

Holy ****, I just watched the video. WTF is wrong with humans on this planet? That was one of the worst acts of cowardice I have ever seen. Literally hundreds of "police officers" running at protesters and when two women falld own, they literally beat them over and over with batons.

One man jumps in the air and stomps on a womans head with his boots. Then they strip them naked and drag them through the streets.

Holy ****, they should die. Who does that to women? Fuking cowards.

Comment

I couldn't see much in the video, but if the victim wishes for it to be taken down, YouTube should honor her request.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          I couldn't see much in the video, but if the victim wishes for it to be taken down, YouTube should honor her request.
          I disagree, it's not about the victim. It's about exposing these scumbags for what they are. Also we don't know if that request is even coming from the victim.

It's most likely the Egyptian govt not wanting the world to see what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I disagree, it's not about the victim. It's about exposing these scumbags for what they are. Also we don't know if that request is even coming from the victim.

It's most likely the Egyptian govt not wanting the world to see what they are doing.
            From what ive read the victim and her mother said directly they want the video taken down.
            Id say thats only right.

There must be many videos of the violence going on out there that the news shows.
            I think since the video went viral, and so many have seen it, the victim should have the right to have the vid taken down. Who are we to say that her assault should be made public?
            I believe her rights come before anything.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              If it was truly on the victim's request like it is stated in the article, then the video should be taken down.
              Can you blame her?

Comment

If she truly wants the video taken down (and I say that without knowing, as none of us know if she's being coerced or not), then it should be taken down. Women who are the victims of sexual assault often have difficulty moving past the trauma and I don't imagine any of them would want video of their grisly assault to be posted on the internet.

Absolutely abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post

She probably finds it humiliating as it is, and for there to be a video of the crime, she's even further humiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by miamike View Post
                    Can you blame her?
                    Of course not. Often times victims of any crime don't want there faces and names being put out there in public. When it comes to sexual assault, even less people want to be in the news or have video footage of their assault out there. They don't even want to speak out on the matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X