No announcement yet.

Robert Guerrero needs to STFU

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Guerrero needs to STFU

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of this guy? Seems like a day can't go by without him giving an interview calling out Floyd, talking about how he's studied Floyd, knows he'll master him etc. Today he says 'Pacquiao is another fighter I know I can beat'. Obviously the guy is trying to talk himself into a major fight and payday, but he's starting to grate on me at this point.

Firstly, he keeps referring to himself as a 'five-time world champion at three weights'. In truth, he's a two-time world champion. He's won three interim titles. I don't count interim titles as legitimate world titles, and nor should anyone else. They're basically titles given to number one contenders who have to wait for their title shot. That's not a champion. That's a number one contender - and not even across the board, but a number one contender within one sanctioning body! You could feasibly be fourth or fifth best in the world, and still be an interim champion. Interim championships don't mean a whole lot. Guerrero referring to himself as a 'five-time world champion' is an insult to legitimate five-time world champions.

He's a two-time world champion; he won a title at super-feather and a title at featherweight. He didn't fight the best guy at either weight. In fact, I've got a feeling at least one of those wins was for a vacant belt.

This is a guy who was knocked down BY A JAB from a 40 year old Joel Casamayor THREE FIGHTS AGO, and who was "floored" by Michael Katsidis in his last fight (though the ref didn't call it; round 2; glove touched down on the canvas on a Katsidis left hook). He's not exactly setting the world alight. He's not someone who deserves a fight with Pacquiao or Mayweather. Not only has he never fought as a welterweight (though he is big), I think he's only ever had one fight at junior-welterweight (against Casa)! And I know a lot of people have forgotten, but Orlando Salido taxed his ass at 130lbs in 2006 before it was changed to a NC - coincidentally on a Mayweather UNDERCARD!

So to clarify, Guerrero expects to leapfrog one of the most talent-rich divisions in boxing (140: Khan, Bradley, Maidana, Peterson, Alexander, D. Garcia, Matthysse, Alvarado, Vargas, Holt, Soto) to land a fight with one of boxing's biggest stars (Mayweather/Pacquiao) off the basis of what...a decision win over Michael Katsidis (who has lost to Diaz, Casamayor, Burns, Marquez)? Hell no. Get the f uck out of here, Guerrero.

For the record, I think he's a very capable fighter, and he seems like a good kid apart from his incessant nagging. Strong, big, southpaw, good left hand, right hook. But he doesn't strike me as a special fighter in the realm of a Pacquiao, Mayweather, of an Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Chad Dawson. He gets hit easily, he's fast but not blazingly quick, and he has a pretty simple come-forward jab/throw left hand style. Easy work for someone as gifted/quick/smart as Mayweather. I also think Pacquiao would kill him, mow his ass down. In a way I'd welcome either fight to shut this guy up.

My advice to Guerrero: reschedule your fight with Maidana. That'll be a good indicator of whether you're remotely ready for the sport's biggest stars and best fighters. Alternatively, fight a top 140 lb'er or upcoming fighter (Danny Garcia, for example), fight Victor Ortiz, fight Marquez, fight Brandon Rios, fight Mike Jones. You don't just get a Cinco de Mayo fight with Floyd just because you're a frickin Mexican-American. That doesn't fly.

So what you don't like is when a fighter tries to get big fights?

Comment

way too long, didn't read

but from the title. I'm assuming you're displeased and or annoyed by Guerrero's trash talk.

I think it's just fine. Hopefully it will land him a big fight soon.

that's all

Comment

I din't even bother to read that but Robert is an outstanding boxer. He would give Floyd a better fight than Ortiz but Floyd's on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
          So what you don't like is when a fighter tries to get big fights?
          Did you even read the post, dumb ass? My point was he is calling for the fight on a daily basis, and he hasn't done **** to deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrain View Post
            Did you even read the post, dumb ass? My point was he is calling for the fight on a daily basis, and he hasn't done **** to deserve it.
            See? This two line post is straight to the point.

And I'd say he done more than most to deserve a big pay day. Isn't he a 3 time world champion?

Comment

Originally posted by nutz_n_ya_face View Post
              I din't even bother to read that but Robert is an outstanding boxer. He would give Floyd a better fight than Ortiz but Floyd's on another level.
              Then don't comment. Why open a thread if you aren't going to read it? In fact, why even join a messageboard if you're not going to read the threads?

Anyway, I doubt very much he'd give Floyd a better fight than Ortiz. He's nowhere near as strong, doesn't hit anywhere near as hard, and is only marginally faster. Ortiz was doing alright when he got sucker-punched, he'd actually just enjoyed his best rally of the fight. People seem to forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by boogybro View Post

And I'd say he done more than most to deserve a big pay day. Isn't he a 3 time world champion?
                You would know the answer to that question if you took 40 seconds to read the original post. Didn't realise it was a huge inconvenience to post a slightly more in-depth thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrain View Post
                  You would know the answer to that question if you took 40 seconds to read the original post. Didn't realise it was a huge inconvenience to post a slightly more in-depth thread.
                  Hahaha, you're right dawg. You've got it all there in your second paragraph.

Edit: In fairness to Guerrero, he hasn't only been calling out Floyd. The next name you constantly hear coming out of the dudes mouth is Amir Khan, which is a much more likely fight.

And JMM was floored by Katsidis. BIG TIME. But we're not going to sit here and question whether he deserved to fight Pacqiaou because of that, because that would be stupid.
                  Last edited by boogybro; 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hahaha, you're right dawg. You've got it all there in your second paragraph.
                    Ha, no sweat. Nice avi. Khan loves to backpeddle.

Comment

Working...
                    X