• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Pierce, Celtics not 'Cavalier' about Manny Pacquiao

Paul Pierce, Celtics not 'Cavalier' about Manny Pacquiao
    May 4, 1:32 PM
    Michael Marley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manny Pacquiao must make for a nice distraction for the Boston Celtics.

Watching the Pinoy Idol in his destructive mode beats thinking about LeBron James and his rampaging Cavaliers.

I previously took notice that, after the Celtcs disposed of those pesky Chicago Bulls the other night, Eddie House seemed distracted during a post-game courtside interview with Comcast’s Greg Dickerson.

Dickerson knew why, noting that House was ripping and running to catch the Ricky Hatton-Pacquiao fight on PPV TV.

“Go watch the fight, Eddie,” the reporter said.

House then took off like the entire Lakers team was bearing down on him.

Boston Globe beat writer Frank Dell’Apa, one of my oldest friends and a former boxing scribe in Reno and Las Vegas, informs me that Megamanny’s fight weighed heavily on the mind of superstar Paul Pierce as well.

“During the press conference, Paul said he wanted to get out of there to go watch Manny,” Dell’Apa said. “I don’t think he caught it live. He and other players were taping or TIVOing the fight. I think Kevin Garnett may have done that as he’s a big Pacman fan also. But The Big Ticket isn’t talking to the media right now.”

The Green Machine, hoping for an 18th world title but sadly without injured Garnett and Leon Powe, have a Pacman link through his trainer and Boston native Coach Freddie Roach.

Garnett and others from the 2008 Celtics title team flocked to Las Vegas to watch Pacman wipe out David Diaz and visited with the fighter and Roach in the dressing room after the bout.

Manny has indicated since then that the Shamrockers are his favorite NBA team but once he told me he was a Lakers fan and I think he also said in San Antonio that he was a Spurs fan.

When it comes to pro hoops, Pacquiao is versatile and flexible.

What I really want to know is Yao Ming, the Rockets Launcher, is a Pacquiao fan.

And to Dell'Apa and all the other great and talented people at The Globe, my journalistic alma mater, I hope this great newspaper stays in business because Boston and the rest of New England will feel like Ricky Hatton in round two if it folds.

Dude is a SUPERSTAR

Comment

Pac-man has officially become the face of boxing.

Comment

Pacquiao has become the face of boxing right.

Comment

Some members of the Orlando Magic were glued to the television at teammate Dwight Howard's home last night to watch two fights.

One was the blockbuster boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton. The other was the deciding Game 7 between the Celtics and Bulls.
          Pacquiao is a star.

Comment

pac is the man now; he outshines everybody in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by FreshPrince View Post
              Pacquiao is a star.
              Dwights a big boxing fan. They train as a team in a boxing gym in Orlando.

Comment

pac got the former nba champs rooting for him while pbf got wannna be gangsta teenagers

Comment

Pacquiao is definitely becoming a cross over superstar. Well deserved and a great look for Boxing.

Comment

Pac's the man for now. We just have to see how much it lasts. Too bad he wants to retire sooner than later.

Comment

Working...
                    X