Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do boxing journalists suck so bad at reporting TV ratings/attendance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do boxing journalists suck so bad at reporting TV ratings/attendance?

In MMA they seem to be crazy about this stuff. I can follow Meltzer, Front Row Brian and MMA Supremacy and get every bit of info I want. Why can't boxing journalists dig a little deeper?

For example we always get reports of the huge ratings for boxing in Germany, Mexico, HBO .etc. But why do boxing journalists never write up articles on the consistently huge ratings in Japan? They're in the 30 million range on average yet you guys go crazy for the 11 or so million Wlad does is Germany, yet Japan gets ignored. Why was there no write up of the women's boxing match in Argentina which pulled a crowd of forty five thousand? Why was there no write up telling everyone that for the week of China's word title win Xiong Zhao Zhong was listed on Yahoo China as the most searched person in the country. He also fought in a 45k stadium. Did it sell out or not? We don't know because no one dug deeper.

Imagine if this was MMA. They'd be putting this stuff all over the place making sure everyone knew how big they are. Yet boxing seems to sweep it all under the rug. Back when MMA ruled Japan their TV ratings were legendary, and they made sure we, the boxing fans, knew about it. These days boxing is pulling those same huge ratings in Japan and nobody mentions it. The best you might see is some guy making a thread about it on NBS.

Because the majority of this sport reporters are not real journalist but rather glorified bloggers. Most have never really held a real job as a journalist and has never really learned the work ethics of being a journalist, not the fact checking, not tje pursue of a story, nor the intergerity of standing behind their work like those real journalism are held to. If they post something they were wrong about simply delete it, why theyre is no story about the rating in china and so on because it hasnt been written yet for our journlist of this sport to hit retweet on yet.

Comment

Originally posted by .Boxeo. View Post
      Because the majority of this sport reporters are not real journalist but rather glorified bloggers. Most have never really held a real job as a journalist and has never really learned the work ethics of being a journalist, not the fact checking, not tje pursue of a story, nor the intergerity of standing behind their work like those real journalism are held to. If they post something they were wrong about simply delete it, why theyre is no story about the rating in china and so on because it hasnt been written yet for our journlist of this sport to hit retweet on yet.
      What he said. Although the same applies in MMA as well.

Comment

http://maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing...-greenburg-era

Here's the first half of 2012 and all of 2011's HBO ratings.

Here is the rest of 2012:

Golovkin-Proska: 685, 000
        Ward-Dawson: 1.3 million
        Rodriguez-Escalera: 904,000
        Nishioka-Donaire: 835,000
        Rios-Alvarado: 816,000
        Chavez Jr-Martinez (9/22 replay): 852,000
        Dulorme-Abregu: 695,000
        Lara-Martirosyan: 667,000
        Broner-Demarco: 1.1 Million
        Guerrero-Berto: 1.1 million
        Arce-Donaire: 1.3 Million

Follow me on twitter. I get the results of HBO ratings every time they have a fight. The only downside is Showtime doesn't give their ratings out to Nielsen so it's harder to find those.

edit: It's harder to find global ratings, but they are reported every time a Klitschko, Chavez, or Canelo fights. People focus on American ratings though.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post

Follow me on twitter. I get the results of HBO ratings every time they have a fight. The only downside is Showtime doesn't give their ratings out to Nielsen so it's harder to find those.

edit: It's harder to find global ratings, but they are reported every time a Klitschko, Chavez, or Canelo fights. People focus on American ratings though.
          I think I might be following you already. Getting international ratings isn't too hard. There are ratings websites for Russia, Poland, Japan, UK among others which are in plain sight. I just think it's a big win when we get a big event out of nowhere like the female boxing match that pulled 45k people to watch, but I don't hear about it from the boxing media. I heard about that because a member here made a thread about it. They need to get news like this out there.

We also never hear about foreign PPV buys. For example the UFC "media" counts their international PPV buys into their total number. So every PPV reported pulls numbers from countries like Poland, US, Oz, Canada, Japan where they're on PPV. Boxing only reports their domestic US buys from HBO. Why don't boxing media start trying to figure out how many PPV buys boxing gets on an international level. They don't even find out PPV numbers from Canada. Wach vs Wlad was PPV in Poland and though it was said to have done very well we never found out how well it did. Likewise, Adamek vs Vitali was also PPV in Poland. Did very well. No one bothers reporting it. They didn't even bother reporting the NBC ratings till about 2 weeks after the event.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post

If Donaire-Arce attained the same amount of ratings Ward-Dawson received, safe to say that the Ward-Dawson fight flopped greatly considering the fight would have been expensive to televise.

Rodriguez-Escalera proved to be a hit, with ratings like that you'd think they would be eager to showcase Rodriguez's next performance.

Comment

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
              If Donaire-Arce attained the same amount of ratings Ward-Dawson received, safe to say that the Ward-Dawson fight flopped greatly considering the fight would have been expensive to televise.

Rodriguez-Escalera proved to be a hit, with ratings like that you'd think they would be eager to showcase Rodriguez's next performance.
              Donaire-Arce was after the Pac-Marquez replay though.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                Donaire-Arce was after the Pac-Marquez replay though.
                Makes sense, thanks for the correction.

Comment

Working...
                X