Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Athiest debates a Christian in a public park confrontation!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castro is damn near the only gay part of the city. The inner city is rough, like the other post mentioned. Lived on Mission growing up, I'm from Richmond though.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      "debating" religion

"you can't believe what you'd like, even if you can't say for sure.

no YOU can't believe what you like, even if you don't know a goddamn thing."

you won't find any religious scholars participating in anything so petty. there are no atheist scholars. atheism isn't that sort of pursuit. in the pure sense atheism is the rejection of religiousness. it is not scholarly.

most "atheists" have never even opened a religious text. that's certainly the case with our some of our ardent atheists here.

"i'm open minded/liberal, but only if you agree with me."
      Sorry but this is not true.

Many religious scholars and known Atheists have debated publicly. There are people like Dawkins, the late Hitchens and Sam Harris who debate for a living.

Also, I learned more about Christianity and Islam AFTER I became an Atheist. I never really read or studied the Bible, the way I did when I became and Atheist. As a matter of fact, that's what lead me to my atheism.

I think Atheists know more about the Bible, than actual Christians to be honest.

Also, the reason this debate is so important is because religious people are trying to impose their views on everyone. For example, in Texas they are teaching creationism in science class or using public money to fund religious endeavors.

People need to stand up to that. Believe in what you want, but denying people their constitutional rights, or forcing your beliefs on others should never be acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Sorry but this is not true.

Many religious scholars and known Atheists have debated publicly. There are people like Dawkins, the late Hitchens and Sam Harris who debate for a living.

Also, I learned more about Christianity and Islam AFTER I became an Atheist. I never really read or studied the Bible, the way I did when I became and Atheist. As a matter of fact, that's what lead me to my atheism.

I think Atheists know more about the Bible, than actual Christians to be honest.

Also, the reason this debate is so important is because religious people are trying to impose their views on everyone. For example, in Texas they are teaching creationism in science class or using public money to fund religious endeavors.

People need to stand up to that. Believe in what you want, but denying people their constitutional rights, or forcing your beliefs on others should never be acceptable.
        http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...than-religious

Comment

Yea, I believe that. I started reading about Islam after 9/11 and then it led me to my own religion. I started finding stuff about the Bible like how it was pieced together, by who, who was the historical Jesus, etc....

Then one day I woke up and realized I didn't believe any of that ****.

Comment

militant atheists are just as irritating as these religious nuts and they're usually ****ing hipsters too.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
              militant atheists are just as irritating as these religious nuts and they're usually ****ing hipsters too.
              more often than not the crazy atheists i know all turn out to be lesbians

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                "debating" religion

"you can't believe what you'd like, even if you can't say for sure.

no YOU can't believe what you like, even if you don't know a goddamn thing."

you won't find any religious scholars participating in anything so petty. there are no atheist scholars. atheism isn't that sort of pursuit. in the pure sense atheism is the rejection of religiousness. it is not scholarly.

most "atheists" have never even opened a religious text. that's certainly the case with our some of our ardent atheists here.

"i'm open minded/liberal, but only if you agree with me."
                Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.
                ****, I didn't read the whole thread. Someone beat me to this? Damn.

For the record, before I came to call myself an atheist, I probably would have described myself as some sort of "Christian" variety. I can assure you, I understood far less about Christianity than I do now. The same goes for all other religions, really. I'm much more aware of their history and their beliefs than I ever would have been as your standard churchgoer, in my opinion.

Many Christians I know in "real life", for instance, aren't aware of Biblical quotes I can recite accurately - even ones that aren't necessarily used as fuel for anti-Christian arguments. They just don't know the Bible that well. My coworker is apparently at church every free moment he's got, and yet he hadn't heard about the story of Lot and the angels, nor did he know my favorite Biblical quote about the camel passing through the eye of a needle (I legitimately like this quote for reasons other than Christianity-bashing). The best he can do is "it's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve", which I'm fairly sure isn't actually in da Bible.
                Last edited by samouraï; 11-28-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X