No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes Jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes Jab

I often read how boxing fans claim Holmes to have the greatest jab in history, which leaves me scratching my head. Let's take a close look at Holmes Jab, which was a good fast jab. But far from the Best.

Larry Holmes was "Out-Jabbed, Beaten to the Jab" By Ken Norton, Michael Spinks (30rds). Carl "Truth"Williams, Bonecrusher Smith 1984, Tim Witherspoon.

Larry Holmes jab looked great against, Ossie Ocassio, Lorenzo Zanon, Muhammad Ali, Alfredo Evangelista, Shavers, Leroy Jones.

Holmes had a fast snapping jab when fighting very limited, poor quality opponents. But against Championship caliber opponents. his jab was limited and not in the same league as the jab of Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis or Sonny Liston.

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    I often read how boxing fans claim Holmes to have the greatest jab in history, which leaves me scratching my head. Let's take a close look at Holmes Jab, which was a good fast jab. But far from the Best.

Larry Holmes was "Out-Jabbed, Beaten to the Jab" By Ken Norton, Michael Spinks (30rds). Carl "Truth"Williams, Bonecrusher Smith 1984, Tim Witherspoon.

Larry Holmes jab looked great against, Ossie Ocassio, Lorenzo Zanon, Muhammad Ali, Alfredo Evangelista, Shavers, Leroy Jones.

Holmes had a fast snapping jab when fighting very limited, poor quality opponents. But against Championship caliber opponents. his jab was limited and not in the same league as the jab of Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis or Sonny Liston.
    Holmes definitely had a great jab. It might not be as hard as Liston's but it was much faster and more precise. I am not sure where Bonecrusher out jabbed him? Ocasio might be considered limited looking back but he had just beat Jimmy Young twice while Young was still at top and right after he lost to Holmes, he turned around and nearly beat an undefeated Michael Dokes(judges gifted Dokes with a draw). Larry Holmes scored a knockdown with his jab against Ocasio. Not only was Holmes jab fast but he could use it for the full 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Holmes definitely had a great jab. It might not be as hard as Liston's but it was much faster and more precise. I am not sure where Bonecrusher out jabbed him? Ocasio might be considered limited looking back but he had just beat Jimmy Young twice while Young was still at top and right after he lost to Holmes, he turned around and nearly beat an undefeated Michael Dokes(judges gifted Dokes with a draw). Larry Holmes scored a knockdown with his jab against Ocasio. Not only was Holmes jab fast but he could use it for the full 15 rounds.
      Bear i agree with what you say about Ocassio who was a cruiserweight champion. Bonecrusher Smith was very unfortunate to lose on cuts to Holmes back in 1984 in a great fight which was "Battle of the Jabs" Holmes winning the early rounds with his jab, Bonecrusher winning the later rounds with his jab. Smith at that time was only a 15 fight novice with no amateur experience.

Comment

as much as I dislike holmes I have to disagree. he had a great snapping jab. any fighter can have a few off nights and get out jabbed by inferior opponents

Comment

Bear i agree with what you say about Ocassio who was a cruiserweight champion. Bonecrusher Smith was very unfortunate to lose on cuts to Holmes back in 1984 in a great fight which was "Battle of the Jabs" Holmes winning the early rounds with his jab, Bonecrusher winning the later rounds with his jab. Smith at that time was only a 15 fight novice with no amateur experience.
          Agree Ocasio was cruiser weight size and he was even green when he beat Jimmy Young. Smith didn't have many fights but I remember he beat amateur star Chris McDonald who was 8-0 in his fourth fight and knocked out the 21-0 Frank Bruno to get the Holmes fight.

I admittedly was very critical of Holmes in the early days after he won the title but eventually he won me over unlike a lot of fans of that era. He was not pretty, articulate, heavy handed or even an especially pleasant person. But he was a very skilled boxer that came to win.

Comment

Holmes had an outstanding jab, it was his scoring punch and set up punch.
            It was offensive & defensive and it was quick and could be hard. Great punch.
            Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
              as much as I dislike holmes I have to disagree. he had a great snapping jab. any fighter can have a few off nights and get out jabbed by inferior opponents
              I think holmes had a is dis pected champ following Ali as EC followed joe Louis. I personally think he was a fine hw. His Jab was effective and his win over KN for the title he had a injury that affected the use of his left jab.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Agree Ocasio was cruiser weight size and he was even green when he beat Jimmy Young. Smith didn't have many fights but I remember he beat amateur star Chris McDonald who was 8-0 in his fourth fight and knocked out the 21-0 Frank Bruno to get the Holmes fight.

I admittedly was very critical of Holmes in the early days after he won the title but eventually he won me over unlike a lot of fans of that era. He was not pretty, articulate, heavy handed or even an especially pleasant person. But he was a very skilled boxer that came to win.
                Yes he was a very skilled boxer Bear. IMO Holmes avoided several top challengers during his 7yr reign, which he should have fought. Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, Pink Thomas to name a few. Thomas had an excellent jab himself and would have given Holmes a run for his money. Holmes was very good when fighting flat-footed, but when up on his toes he always seemed awkward to me. I feel Holmes could never have beaten Mike Tyson, as his style is made for Tyson who was the greatest ever at cutting off the ring. But Holmes standing in ATG terms could have been much greater, if he had faced those challengers he avoided. He was a great fighter.

Comment

Yes, I actually like his jab moreso than Ali's which was more rapier like.. Holmes had a longsword type jab.. My favorite heavyweight jabber is still Louis, though.. I like power jabbers.. Even Buster Douglas though not really an ATG had a most impressive jab..

Comment

In a capsule: arguably the best heavyweight jab ever, certainly one of the best ever.

Folks have to recall that Norton himself had an excellent jab of the up variety against tall straight boys like Holmes and Ali.

Holmes was a lumbering giant when he tried to dance. Cancel the Dancing With The Stars engagement. But he was pretty good with overall movement.

I want to look back at some fights before I say more. I want to examine his jab closely under the various circumstances that have been mentioned. The camera is more reliable than the memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X