Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockin and John Scully I have questions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin and John Scully I have questions!

I am finally getting into great shape for boxing and am really ready to take boxing as far as I can go with it.

What does it really take to compete as a Pro? How much roadwork did you guys do? Could you please post your running routine?

My specific questions are these?

How many days a week, how many miles, and how much Interval/Sprint training did you do?

Also did either of you guys lift weights? If so, how many days a week, and at what rep range?

If I ever lifted weights it was light weight reps only. And running... running shorter distances but at better speed is the best I think. A lot of hills, too. ANYBODY almost can jog 5 miles but RUNNING 2 miles is a lot harder. If you aren't VERY TIRED and winded when u are done running... then u didnt RUN

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY
      If I ever lifted weights it was light weight reps only. And running... running shorter distances but at better speed is the best I think. A lot of hills, too. ANYBODY almost can jog 5 miles but RUNNING 2 miles is a lot harder. If you aren't VERY TIRED and winded when u are done running... then u didnt RUN

Thanks. But when you traing for the Nunn fight were you running every day? 5 days a week?

I am doing 3 sprint workouts a week with one 2 hour jog on saturdays. Is that a good program for the ameuters?

Comment

The running verys upon the individual. I would run short distances what ever speed I felt like when fights were off. When they got on it was 2 miles hard. When the fight was right on it was the hills. 15 minutes both sides, 15 minutes backwards and 15 minutes regular. The hills will make you so strong.

I recommend 6 days a week. Interchange the long running with the sprints.

Hilmer Kenty was a 15 round world champion, he only ran 2 miles a day. He got his work in the gym.

You can train hard away from the gym and learn to run marathons. But you can not supplement the real gym work. That is where you will become champion if it is in your cards.

I recommend lifting low weights high hgigh reps. Boxing is about explosive strength. But what is that explosive strength worth once you get tired. Boxing is about endurance, lifting this way will give you all you need.

To compete pro it will take everything that you have in you, and then some you didnt even realize you had yet. It will take dedication, it will take sacrifice and it will take pain. But the rewards are priceless when walking among the civilian. Its a piece of mind.

Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
          The running verys upon the individual. I would run short distances what ever speed I felt like when fights were off. When they got on it was 2 miles hard. When the fight was right on it was the hills. 15 minutes both sides, 15 minutes backwards and 15 minutes regular. The hills will make you so strong.

I recommend 6 days a week. Interchange the long running with the sprints.

Hilmer Kenty was a 15 round world champion, he only ran 2 miles a day. He got his work in the gym.

You can train hard away from the gym and learn to run marathons. But you can not supplement the real gym work. That is where you will become champion if it is in your cards.

I recommend lifting low weights high hgigh reps. Boxing is about explosive strength. But what is that explosive strength worth once you get tired. Boxing is about endurance, lifting this way will give you all you need.

To compete pro it will take everything that you have in you, and then some you didnt even realize you had yet. It will take dedication, it will take sacrifice and it will take pain. But the rewards are priceless when walking among the civilian. Its a piece of mind.

Rockin'

That last paragraph just got printed out and stuck up on my door.

Comment

Working...
          X