Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard says to overcome Mayweather shoulder roll, hit the shoulder..you agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
    Yeah but he's a lot more than that. His defense most of the time is just simply "holding his hands up", using lateral and backward movement, and good knowledge of angles("If I'm standing here what punches can they use and what can I see").

I don't see where people get the impression that he comes out in that stance the entire time, also if he's getting pounded in the shoulder one of the smartest fighters in the game won't adjust his gameplan and will just keep getting pounded in the shoulder in the philly shell stance
    Exactly. On this site Floyd is one of the most underrated fighters. Which is nuts.

Comment

Leonard using old school thinking there. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by texasboi15 View Post
        Sugar Ray Leonard says if he would have fought Floyd Mayweather, he would have continuously hit Floyd in the arms and shoulder to open him up and discourage him from just sitting in his patented defensive position. Two questions: First do you agree with this strategy? Second, do you think "cracking" the shoulder roll is the key to defeating Floyd?
        you'd have to be fast and hard hitting enough to do it. leonard could do it all. he could box, punch, and had a great chin. he beats floyd.

whether or not that would be the key to his winning the fight i cannot say for certain. there'd obviously be more to it than that. the right type of fighter could institute the jab, and either outwork him or break him down.

tommy hearns would knock floyd mayweather out.

Comment

I'd be putting straight right hands into the upper bicep/shoulder and following that in combination with my hook into the front side of his shoulder! I'm not concerned with his counters because I'd be "moving" him backwards.
          This is a technique thats not used much anymore but was a commonly used attack to break a pattern or simply move a fight off his point! Taking a hard punch into the shoulder/front bicep area can be devasting especially from a strong puncher.
          I don't think that the shoulder roll is a key to defeat anyone but anytime you can "move" a postioned opponent off their point your succeeding. Ray.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but what I get from that quote is that ray believes mayweather is the superior boxer out of the two. Leonard doesn't believe he can outbox Floyd so he would attack his shoulder. I would expect someone like Leonard to have more of a boxing strategy to beat Floyd. I think everyone sees that Floyd is pretty much like the grandmaster of true boxing. I think it takes what may not be possible today to beat Floyd and that is out boxing him. You have to be smarter than him. Thats how u beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. U don't hit his shoulder.

Comment

Forget trying to penetrate the shoulder roll, to beat Mayweather it's more important to be an INTELLIGENT and SLICK pressure fighter which is a rare combination. Somebody who can mix up the rhythm of their attacks and punches, jab steps, feints and maintain good defensive discipline as they come in but STILL constantly apply pressure. They'll also have to focus on straight punches, mostly jabs.

Cotto had good luck tagging Mayweather because he has a good jab. Jabs are straight punches and have to travel the shortest distance to the target. You really just have to get to the chin before the roll happens. Straight punches and unpredictable rhythm is how you do that.

Comment

If you are going to rely on one thing to beat Floyd then you won't win. Floyd will adapt to your one thing and then you won't have a plan B. Let's just face it Mayweather just has a hard style to beat. He doesn't punch the hardest, he isn't the fastest but he does everything very well, has an awkward style and adapts on the fly. On top of that he is very durable for a guy that doesn't take much punishment. When he has had to dig deep he has.

Sure, Leonard may well have beaten Mayweather if they ever fought but it wouldn't be as simple has just hitting the shoulders.

Comment

a guy like canelo might have success doing this becuase he is big and strong, specially if mayweather just stays in the ropes like against cotto

Comment

just watch roy jones vs james toney
                    have varying body-head combinations
                    cotto was smart with his right to the body, right to the head, landed on a couple of occassions

and a right hand to have them roll it and shoot a straight left down the middle whilst moving to your right ala roy jones vs james toney, worked well

and then there's being a southpaw, throw some straights instead of looping punches and you should have it easier than the rest

Comment

Leonard's flip flopping. Doesn't he always says to hit Floyd on top of the head?

Comment

Working...
                      X