Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATG's: Best technical pressure fighter of any era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
    Wilfredo Gomez in his early days was a great at backing an opponent up while slipping and countering, it can be compared to how Duran applied pressure, he even held his hands like Duran.

Orlando Canizales was great at moving in at angles, deflecting a punch and shooting his counter a split second later, he was really at his best when you were backing up, he wasn't the same fighter when you put him on the back foot like Vasquez and Reyes (in the first fight) but he was one of the best offensive technicians in the history of the sport.

The best though has to go to Roberto Duran.
    Woohoo! Someone mentioned Canizales! Funny, but you don't hear that much about him and yet he was easily among the greatest, underrated fighters ever. As you said, and I really believe that he used angles better than any other fighter.

He was utterly superb. What's happened to all the great competition that was in past eras. Most eras, even the weaker ones, had better competition across the board than today. There are certainly some great divisions but nothing that truly stands out as having a number of real greats all fighting each other.

Oh well. Cotto/Pac will do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Woohoo! Someone mentioned Canizales! Funny, but you don't hear that much about him and yet he was easily among the greatest, underrated fighters ever. As you said, and I really believe that he used angles better than any other fighter. He was utterly superb. What's happened to all the great competition that was in past eras. Most eras, even the weaker ones, had better competition across the board than today. There are certainly some great divisions but nothing that truly stands out as having a number of real greats all fighting each other.

Oh well. Cotto/Pac will do for now.

just out of curiousity, which pressure fighters do you think were the best at using angles?

Comment

Imo Aaron Pryor is underrated, but he is a good general technician. He looks more brutal and rough, more punching monster, but he had good boxing abilities.

But I also go with prime (Lightweight) Duran.

Comment

Armstrong, Duran, Hagler

Comment

YOU GOT A POINT BUT DONT FORGET THAT DeJESUS BEAT HIM IN HIS PRIME

Comment

Originally posted by Kut View Post
              Imo Aaron Pryor is underrated, but he is a good general technician. He looks more brutal and rough, more punching monster, but he had good boxing abilities.

But I also go with prime (Lightweight) Duran.
              He did. Pryor had almost all the physical gifts going for him on top of being a pretty good Boxer, he was fast, he could punch, he had a good chin and lots of stamina.

His defence is underrated because he got nailed and dropped on occasion, but my reasoning behind that is not that he had a bad defence it was that he was a bit wreckles at times, he would attack and leave his chin up in the air. When he got up he would literally try to push the referee out the way so he could get back at the opponent. On the whole he had a good defence though. Good upperbody movement and he did not come in straight on the line, he would step off the line and attack from angles all the time, Infact thats why i think Mayweather knows he would have had a test against Pryor because Pryor switched the attack and attacked you from all angles.

Pryor fought with the kind of intensity of a Qawi.

Comment

Originally posted by Leakbeak View Post
                I think it was Roberto Duran by a long mile. In his prime, he was the best fighter ever who kept coming forward. His skills and relentlessness took him to 15 round decisions of some of the best fleat footed guys ever to have boxed, including SRL. SRL even said in an interview (on Beyond the Glory) that he saw Duran getting fat and out of shape, so decided to get a rematch right then at that moment so he could be guaranteed a win. Duran on top of his game would have beaten him again. Discuss.
                are you kidding duran is the most over rated fighter of all time,he gave ken a low blow,he quit against leonard,he got hit by hearns with a right hand and he went down like a tree when he got up 10 minutes later with the help of smelling salts he said he does not remember anything[no kidding] it was like he got shot from close range by an elephant gun,he lost to benitez,hagler,leonard,hearns,camacho,and to lawlor [a nobody]twice,duran is an average fighter that is it

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
                  are you kidding duran is the most over rated fighter of all time,he gave ken a low blow,he quit against leonard,he got hit by hearns with a right hand and he went down like a tree when he got up 10 minutes later with the help of smelling salts he said he does not remember anything[no kidding] it was like he got shot from close range by an elephant gun,he lost to benitez,hagler,leonard,hearns,camacho,and to lawlor [a nobody]twice,duran is an average fighter that is it
                  You need to look up the word 'prime' in the boxing glossary. Overrated? Lol, that is a joke. You mentioned the Tommy Hearns fight when it is well known that Hearns was too big for him and Duran jumped too many divisions due to poor discipline. If he stayed at lightweight and didn't fight in to his forties, he would have had only a few losses. If he fought hoe the overprotected guys fight today, he never would have lost and never would have fought a prime Leonard! I caqn see why you have so much red K, you must be a noob. You did mention him fighting a middleweight Hagler! Was he expected to win? You need to learn the basics about weight divisions and their importance, before you start posting bs on BS

Comment

Originally posted by Leakbeak View Post
                    You need to look up the word 'prime' in the boxing glossary. Overrated? Lol, that is a joke. You mentioned the Tommy Hearns fight when it is well known that Hearns was too big for him and Duran jumped too many divisions due to poor discipline. If he stayed at lightweight and didn't fight in to his forties, he would have had only a few losses. If he fought hoe the overprotected guys fight today, he never would have lost and never would have fought a prime Leonard! I caqn see why you have so much red K, you must be a noob. You did mention him fighting a middleweight Hagler! Was he expected to win? You need to learn the basics about weight divisions and their importance, before you start posting bs on BS
                    you tell em. Duran overrated hahaha thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard today

Comment

• Originally posted by The Bay Bomber View Post
                      you tell em. Duran overrated hahaha thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard today
                      From a bumboy who hasn't watched enough of the sweet science! People who do not appreciate pressure fighters nprobably do not box and won't know difference between fighting going forward or boxing on the outside. Fighting going forward without getting hurt, is alot harder than it looks!

Comment

Working...
                      X