Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if ward was a "superstar",,would team ggg still be as reluctant as they currently are

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    Yes. Superstar or not you have to balance risk and reward and Ward is too risky. Losing would be career suicide so I still think the fight would not happen.

Think about it, you get $5 mil losing to Ward or continue to bank $1 mil, 3x per year for the next several years beating up less risky opponents.
    he'd probably get ~$3m for andy lee (majority of the purse) and ~$5m for alvarez (smaller part of the purse) - plus he doesn't have to go through the ordeal of moving up in weight. if he fights ward he can't go back down again, so win or lose he's stuck in the wasteland of hbo's super middleweight with fewer opportunities to get paid and build a legacy than he has at 160. common sense says mop up 160 and then and only then start negotiating with ward (unless he makes an offer you can't refuse - which 50-50 at 168 is certainly not)

Comment

I think with the doorway GGG currently has open that leds towards the #2 or #3 most popular fighters (arguably) in the business Ward would need to be Mayweather or Manny popular to get GGG coming his way. Right now it makes too much sense to unify in his own division on PPV & fight another PPV draw in his division in early 2016...and THEN go up a division & after Ward. And THEN maybe he can have another big PPV fight vs Chavez Jr, if Jr hasn't f#cked up again and THEN hopefully Gilberto Ramirez will be ready for some on PPV by then. Do the Mayweather PPV hustle & hijack the Mexican holidays with Mexicans vs Mexican Style. K2 should make me an offer, I got this all planned out.

Comment

If Ward was a MIDDLEWEIGHT and had a belt that Golovkin wanted, the fight would be signed already. At this point in time, the only thing that would get GGG to fight outside of his division would be a fight on the magnitude of a Mayweather fight. There would be no point at all of anything less than that.

Right now, Golovkin is focused on his primary goal which is unifying all the titles at MW. After that is completed, then and only then does a Ward fight make any sense at all, and only if Ward brings something major to the party. At the moment, he brings nothing and all this constant talk of a GGG - Ward fight is pointless and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
          Yes. Superstar or not you have to balance risk and reward and Ward is too risky. Losing would be career suicide so I still think the fight would not happen.

Think about it, you get $5 mil losing to Ward or continue to bank $1 mil, 3x per year for the next several years beating up less risky opponents.
          GGG would never cash in $5 million from a Ward fight at this time and he is making considerably more than $1 million per fight currently, especially when you take his percentage of international sales into consideration. International sales which would be non existent for a Ward fight.

As for the effect of losing to Ward, losing to a fighter who rightfully fights TWO DIVISIONS ABOVE HIM would have little to no effect on his career or reputation. If Ward lost to Wlad, would it be career suicide? No, it would be suicide pure and simple for him to even try, but losing to the HW Champion of the world would not have any effect on his career as a LHW. Golovkin would simply return to MW - WHERE HE RIGHTLY BELONGS, and continue to destroy his opponents. It is not as if Ward would do any physical damage to him, unless he pulled a leg muscle trying to run him down. Ward simply does not have the power to hurt him and his only shot at winning would be by decision.

Comment

Change 3 things in Ward's career and it could've happenend by now.
            1. if Ward had his fight with Pavlik
            2. if Ward would've accepted the 2-fight deal with Adonis Stevenson
            3. if Ward wouldn't have sued Goosen and remained mostly inactive for 3 years

If you could go back and change those 3 things, Andre would've maintained and grew his popularity from the S6 and represented a high reward/incentive to attract Golovkin to fight him.

Comment

Ward, despite his amazing skill, is not a draw to anyway except the most hardcore boxing fans, while GGG has real crossover appeal in my humble opinion. GGG's team aren't going to risk him potentially taking a loss and derailing all of that, just part of the business of boxing and matchmaking.....

Comment

This fight would never happen because at some point Ward will decide to sue someone involved. The guy isn't interested in fight. Biggest coward in boxing.

Comment

I think the fight would happen...right now it's too high of a risk for little reward...plus he's waiting on the Cotto/Canelo winner. If he wasn't even waiting on that huge money fight I think it would have happened next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                    Change 3 things in Ward's career and it could've happenend by now.
                    1. if Ward had his fight with Pavlik
                    2. if Ward would've accepted the 2-fight deal with Adonis Stevenson
                    3. if Ward wouldn't have sued Goosen and remained mostly inactive for 3 years

If you could go back and change those 3 things, Andre would've maintained and grew his popularity from the S6 and represented a high reward/incentive to attract Golovkin to fight him.
                    If you were to change those three things, Ward would have a successful career today and would not have to be chasing after a middleweight to get his name in the news. A Golovkin - Ward fight would be discussed as a fantasy fight and not something that seemed as a realistic possibility. In fact it may not even have ever been mentioned at all because Ward would have likely moved to LHW a couple of years ago after cleaning out SMW.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                      This fight would never happen because at some point Ward will decide to sue someone involved. The guy isn't interested in fight. Biggest coward in boxing.
                      And let's not forget his dirty style of fighting that attracts absolutely no fans, except F1omos 's

I can't wait to see Kovalev make Ward look like a helpless *****.

Comment

Working...
                      X