No announcement yet.

10 things you need to know about the Sandra Bland stop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
    Failure to use a turn signal IS actually an arrestable offense in Texas. He was going to give her a warning, but her attitude caused him to give her the full treatment.
    Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
    I have no problem with the stop and the arrest. Some ppl nowadays believe that the rules don't apply to them.
    Exactly. It's common sense (or it should be) that if you are a pain in the rear to officers they will be a pain in your rear in return. Don't these people watch those shows 'Cops' and 'Jail' and see that simply acting respectful will get you treated well while being a jerk will bring you problems?

It's been this way forever. When I was younger I read that book 'The Anarchist Cookbook' which was written in 1971 by a really radical guy. Even back then he told people to never argue with the police as you can't win because, after all, the cop is the guy with the gun.

Comment

The part that disgusted me the most is that when she refused to get outta her car he said, "I'll light you up"...

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
        I have no problem with the stop and the arrest. Some ppl nowadays believe that the rules don't apply to them.

Now she was 3 days in jail which would be excessive but the full details are not out while she was encarcerated
        Can you explain what crime she has committed to warrant the supposed arrest?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          Exactly. It's common sense (or it should be) that if you are a pain in the rear to officers they will be a pain in your rear in return. Don't these people watch those shows 'Cops' and 'Jail' and see that simply acting respectful will get you treated well while being a jerk will bring you problems?

It's been this way forever. When I was younger I read that book 'The Anarchist Cookbook' which was written in 1971 by a really radical guy. Even back then he told people to never argue with the police as you can't win because, after all, the cop is the guy with the gun.
          I think that one of the reasons why she ignored that advice is the prevalence of information going around about how to enforce your legal rights during a stop. It is great to educate people on this, but the problem is most people don't have a clear understanding of the legal issues and end up defying lawful orders, like she did.
          Last edited by Mukuro; 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
            Can you explain what crime she has committed to warrant the supposed arrest?
            Someone stated earlier that the traffic offense she committed is an arrestable offense in Texas.

When I was in HS in 1990 I took an elective class called 'Street Law'. We had a cop come in (that cop had actually ticketed me recently, lol) and speak to the class. He explained that every traffic offense besides speeding is an arrestable offense in Texas. He also told us it's simple to turn speeding into something like 'reckless driving', 'excessive speed', etc if they really want to arrest you. Things may have changed, but the government doesn't typically give up powers.

Again, had this woman simply been respectful instead of argumentative and combative she wouldn't be dead. Heck, she might have even gotten off with a warning and no ticket! Maybe she will be found to have been in the right after all the investigations are done, but either way, she is still dead. Foolish pride can be costly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
              Failure to use a turn signal IS actually an arrestable offense in Texas. He was going to give her a warning, but her attitude caused him to give her the full treatment.

I don't really feel bad for her. She was being a **** and got disciplined. She probably killed herself for the cause.
              That's a lie. It's an infraction, not a crime:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.545.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                Someone stated earlier that the traffic offense she committed is an arrestable offense in Texas.

When I was in HS in 1990 I took an elective class called 'Street Law'. We had a cop come in (that cop had actually ticketed me recently, lol) and speak to the class. He explained that every traffic offense besides speeding is an arrestable offense in Texas. He also told us it's simple to turn speeding into something like 'reckless driving', 'excessive speed', etc if they really want to arrest you. Things may have changed, but the government doesn't typically give up powers.

Again, had this woman simply been respectful instead of argumentative and combative she wouldn't be dead. Heck, she might have even gotten off with a warning and no ticket! Maybe she will be found to have been in the right after all the investigations are done, but either way, she is still dead. Foolish pride can be costly.

its a lie. Its an infraction. They tell you that, but I guarantee he probably doesn't even know the correct code for it.

Do that next time you feel you are being wronged. Take down his name, badge number (also any other officer present at the time). You are allowed to ask what are they stopping you for. You are allowed by law not to answer any questions without your lawyer present.

He violated many of her constitutional rights.

Also, being rude or disrespectful is not a crime.

Comment

That's a lie. It's an infraction, not a crime:

Technically it is arrestable from what I understand. Nevertheless, his order for her to step out of the car was a lawful one, and refusing to do so certainly is an arrestable offense as per § 542.501 of the Texas statues.

Comment

its a lie. Its an infraction. They tell you that, but I guarantee he probably doesn't even know the correct code for it.

Do that next time you feel you are being wronged. Take down his name, badge number (also any other officer present at the time). You are allowed to ask what are they stopping you for. You are allowed by law not to answer any questions without your lawyer present.

He violated many of her constitutional rights.

Also, being rude or disrespectful is not a crime.
                    The cop handled the situation badly by being overly reactive to her attitude and escalating like another poster pointed out. I would say the only real mistake he made legally though was not informing her of the cause for her arrest even when asked.

Comment

Cops are under a microscope in terms of their behavior and how they carry out their jobs nowadays, and for good reason. I don't how cops are not more mindful of how they conduct themselves. It's every ****in' week, we hear about police brutality and excessive use of force. Don't these cops realize that they are under increase scrutiny these days?

Comment

Working...
                      X