Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustafa Hamsho-the best middleweight that never won a title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    [B]

Its without a doubt up to debate. As I've already stated, Carter was spent by age 27, and the man only had 19 ko's in 40 fights. Sorry Obama, that is not a massive puncher. Getting a highlight reel ko, doesn't make you a massive puncher anymore than hitting a grand slam make you a consistent home run hitter. I know Carter could wallop pretty good, but Hamsho could take it even better.
    I never said Carter was a great fighter, so you can stop reciting his record to me. Telling me he was past his prime at an early age is also irrelevant, as the argument obviously assumes a prime vs prime comparison. And factoring in the man's losses to his KO ratio is flat out purposefully deceptive. Anyone who was around when Carter was fighting called him a massive puncher. You can't just look at his numbers long after the guy had fought and claim otherwise because they don't appear the way they're supposed to. He was a massive puncher because everyone during his time said he was. It's not like the guys who fought him turned around and told the world the man couldn't crack. End of story really.

I'm not continuing this argument...just seems silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      I never said Carter was a great fighter, so you can stop reciting his record to me. Telling me he was past his prime at an early age is also irrelevant, as the argument obviously assumes a prime vs prime comparison. And factoring in the man's losses to his KO ratio is flat out purposefully deceptive. Anyone who was around when Carter was fighting called him a massive puncher. You can't just look at his numbers long after the guy had fought and claim otherwise because they don't appear the way they're supposed to. He was a massive puncher because everyone during his time said he was. It's not like the guys who fought him turned around and told the world the man couldn't crack. End of story really.

Hamsho was a better fighter, his record is simply better and he has fought just as strong opposition, if not even stronger. Carter beat a former welterweight Emile Griffith, thats his biggest win.

Comment

I never said Carter couldn't hit. But you're trying to make it sound like he should rate amongst the best punchers ever and that Hamsho had a chin of crystal. Neither are true.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
          Hamsho was a better fighter, his record is simply better and he has fought just as strong opposition, if not even stronger. Carter beat a former welterweight Emile Griffith, thats his biggest win.
          He beat a prime future 2 time MW Champion is who he beat. And his level of opposition was far greater, not remotely debatable. His biggest win trumps Hamshos.

I never said Carter couldn't hit. But you're trying to make it sound like he should rate amongst the best punchers ever and that Hamsho had a chin of crystal. Neither are true.
          Hamsho didn't have a thin chin, but that didn't keep the man from getting KOed. The only guy he fought remotely like Carter was Hagler, and we saw what happened there.

Comment

Hamsho didn't have a thin chin, but that didn't keep the man from getting KOed. The only guy he fought remotely like Carter was Hagler, and we saw what happened there.
            Come on my man, we both know Carter isn't in the same stratosphere as a puncher or a fighter compared to Hagler, and Hamsho made it 11 tough rounds the first fight. A Hamsho-Carter fight would be an ugly entertaining brawl where you could flip a coin to decide the winner.

Comment

Blimey I wished I hadn't bought up Carter's name lol. Kind of only used it to place Hamsho in the scheme of things. I didn't think Hamsho was that convincing against Minter and I count Minter in the lower reaches of MW champions.

Comment

Come on my man, we both know Carter isn't in the same stratosphere as a puncher or a fighter compared to Hagler, and Hamsho made it 11 tough rounds the first fight. A Hamsho-Carter fight would be an ugly entertaining brawl where you could flip a coin to decide the winner.
                Fighter no, puncher yes, but whatever! I'm done defending a fighter I don't even consider all that good just to expose another fighter even worse.

Comment

Working...
                X