Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it safe to say kovalev would have a similar gameplan for ward..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wouldn't work against Andre ward.

Comment

It's a tough ask to have an inactive Ward move up to 175 to fight Kovalev. Saying that, I do believe he would get on the inside of Kovalev due to his speed. He is MUCH faster and more athletic than Hopkins....

Hopkins was trying to lure Kovalev into traps all night and it didn't work-Ward doesn't lure you in the whole fight (in that type of fashion), so it would look different-especially since Ward isn't the type of fighter to linger on the ropes or the corner looking for a single counter shot.

Also, Ward's shots (especially his left hook) are fast and catch you off guard. Kovalev does get caught with left hooks and Bernard caught him with a beauty in round 12.

If Ward moves up, has a few successful fights at 175, then I would like to see this fight. IMO-it can go either way.

Comment

Ward would have higher punch output, use jab more So dont say Ward would get Koed...Fck outta here and hop of Kov. Dck

Comment

He'd have to be a lot rougher, and try to prevent Ward from working his way inside, and staying there, where he does his best work. Prevent Ward from grabbing him and holding him on the inside, so Ward can attack from the angles he wants.

Ward is notoriously known for being extremely physically strong, and able to manhandle opponents. Kovalev would have to either prevent Ward from getting in this position, and he is very rangy, and is surprisingly effectively at punching off his back-foot, and even step-back counter-punching (as he did against Hopkins).

Kovalev actually uses feints too. And is quite good at it. He does many subtle things that are overlooked.
          Last edited by Rostov Papa; 11-09-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

50/50 fight for me too...not to compare froch to kovalev, but ward stood in front of froch even backed him up and despite the 4" reach advantage froch had, ward was able to get to him on the inside at will...(froch has a good jab aswell) ward is noticeably faster in my opinion so i think he has a good chance of doing the same without getting countered as much....now, with kova controlling the distance, he wont have a choice but to step back at times or else he'll find himself in ward's comfort zone on the inside and throwing the gameplan out of the window....kova is definitly more than capable of having ward "always" on his backfoot but hes gonna have to be more active offensively....easier said than done i know ....

Comment

Ward's not going to 175 anytime soon. He wants GGG and Chavez Jr. at 168.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                Lmfao, the kovalev from last night wins 2 rounds at most vs ward fighting like that. It's like saying amir khan can outbox mayweather in the middle of the ring. Ward is the mayweather of the higher weights, but younger. NOBODY is going to outbox ward. NOBODY. Same with mayweather, if you think you're going to outbox mayweather you already lost before you stepped into the ring *cough* alvarez *cough*.
                Yeah , ward is so skilled an atg like bhop aint even good enough to carry his jockstrap....hes so good he looked unbeatable vs bika lol...and who said about kova needing to outbox him to win, he could khtfo or cause enough damage for a technical stoppage...

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                  Lmfao, the kovalev from last night wins 2 rounds at most vs ward fighting like that. It's like saying amir khan can outbox mayweather in the middle of the ring. Ward is the mayweather of the higher weights, but younger. NOBODY is going to outbox ward. NOBODY. Same with mayweather, if you think you're going to outbox mayweather you already lost before you stepped into the ring *cough* alvarez *cough*.
                  I bet you were one of those clowns who said Hopkins was going to dominate Kovalev

Comment

Originally posted by Dabuu View Post
                    Ward would have higher punch output, use jab more So dont say Ward would get Koed...Fck outta here and hop of Kov. Dck
                    Dont worry i wont say that although i wouldnt rule that out as a possibilty.....calmate maricon!

Comment

Working...
                    X