Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are we supposed to refer to "black people" as?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
    yall must be celebrating Black History month.....wats with these stupid threads lately
    In NSB they were celebrating "15 Rounds" week.

Comment

Inner city youth or at risk residents HAha.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
          yall must be celebrating Black History month.....wats with these stupid threads lately
          Yup, and why is everyone looking so far into this? When people say black they mean people of a darker pigment, it doesn't automatically have to be racist. When I'm meeting up with some friends and one of the guys we're meeting with is black I say "Yeah he should be right here, he's a black guy wearing Retro 14's with khakis" or "He's a white guy/brown guy...". I mean I'm not really "white", am I? No. You guys look too far into these terms.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
            It stems from anthropologists classifying the "actual three human races," caucasoids, negroids, and mongoloids.
            You are correct, of course. However, I do find it interesting that no one uses dirivitives of the other two "-oids" when describing members of those races. In fact, the use of either is considered offensive in most circles.

Yet the term "Caucasian" hangs around like a stubborn dingleberry.

Comment

Call us Black or Black-American, or call us by our name if you know it.

I don't use the term African-American unless that person was born in Africa and then later came to America. Just like if you are any other ethnicity if you were born here in America, than you are indeed American.

Black-Americans and African-Americans are very different from my personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
                Call us Black or Black-American, or call us by our name if you know it.

I don't use the term African-American unless that person was born in Africa and then later came to America. Just like if you are any other ethnicity if you were born here in America, than you are indeed American.

Black-Americans and African-Americans are very different from my personal experience.
                You should ask to be called American. This land is yours just as much as the perceived "normal" Americans. Normal as in no "color" label is needed for them, because they 'own' the place, it's 'their' land, because they "purchased" it from Natives, so they get to label you anything they want and you accept it. Being okay with Black/African-American seems a bit submissive. You're black, okay, we can see that. No need to give you the "black" title. I don't know, it seems wrong but it came right from the horses mouth(you) and I am sure the majority of Americans(black) people are okay with that too, what do I know, i'm Hispanic and on the white skin color side. However, at my job, when I can't tell if a co-worker is Black(American) or a Black Hispanic who was raised in the U.S., I ask them, and if they are just Black, they refer to themselves as "American". That's what I like to hear. Don't come with that "Black" or "African American". Using the labels the white man gave you like the "N"-word (I know you are against it) "African American", "Black" to refer to yourselves and to each other. They should nationally abolish AA/Black to refer to brown skinned Americans, make it official. Just consider every citizen an American.

Imagine non-white skinned Asians were broken down into Brown-Asians.

Comment

Bruh

Cuh

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    You should ask to be called American. This land is yours just as much as the perceived "normal" Americans. Normal as in no "color" label is needed for them, because they 'own' the place, it's 'their' land, because they "purchased" it from Natives, so they get to label you anything they want and you accept it. Being okay with Black/African-American seems a bit submissive. You're black, okay, we can see that. No need to give you the "black" title. I don't know, it seems wrong but it came right from the horses mouth(you) and I am sure the majority of Americans(black) people are okay with that too, what do I know, i'm Hispanic and on the white skin color side. However, at my job, when I can't tell if a co-worker is Black(American) or a Black Hispanic who was raised in the U.S., I ask them, and if they are just Black, they refer to themselves as "American". That's what I like to hear. Don't come with that "Black" or "African American". Using the labels the white man gave you like the "N"-word (I know you are against it) "African American", "Black" to refer to yourselves and to each other. They should nationally abolish AA/Black to refer to brown skinned Americans, make it official. Just consider every citizen an American.

Imagine non-white skinned Asians were broken down into Brown-Asians.
                    I don't "ask" to be called anything other than my name if proper introductions have been made. If not, then I prefer to be labeled as a Black-American, or American simple as that, hell I even find Black Man to be an acceptable term.

There is nothing submissive in the least bit in wanting to be labeled as a Black-American, as that is indeed my heritage(Ancestry.Com doesn't work for all of us Americans). I completely embrace what heritage I have and I am extremely proud of the fact that I am a Black-American/'Murican, and wouldn't trade it for nothing in the world and have no problem letting it be known to the world as I love by Black-American heritage.

But on the real Kev I don't give not a one, single, solitary, shietin ass, **** what "You like to hear" in regards to this subject: One, because you don't have any right what so ever to tell me as a Black-American Man what I "should" prefer to be addressed as preceding a proper introduction. Two: Because you came off extremely condescending/prickish on a subject that you will never be directly effected by due to the color of your skin and "your" heritage.

Now I agree with you in regards to every citizen is an American, and has every right to want to be addressed as such as America belongs to us all, but that's where my agreement with the post quoted above ends. IMHO as an American you have the God given right to differentiate yourself in any which way you deem necessary, especially in regards to ethnicity due to America being the proverbial "Melting Pot" of the world.

Next time try not to come off as such a d1ck when you respond to someone Kev. It doesn't look good on you, you're better than that as a poster and a person.

Comment

i prefer the term negroid.

Comment

Working...
                      X