No announcement yet.

Tyson's early training routine...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson's early training routine...

Now i realise he apparantly used to train 7 days a week, and each day do A LOT, but in his first 9 months he fought 15 times- fighting so often (even though he was knocking each one out early) how did he train between those fights? surely he had to rest a couple of days then go back to it- because Adrenaline has to come down.

Steroids....

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
      Now i realise he apparantly used to train 7 days a week, and each day do A LOT, but in his first 9 months he fought 15 times- fighting so often (even though he was knocking each one out early) how did he train between those fights? surely he had to rest a couple of days then go back to it- because Adrenaline has to come down.
      I'd guess a rest day with Cus was probably like most guys average workout. A rest day was probably just a day without sparring.

Ray would be the guy to ask on this one... He knows quite a bit about Cus' boys and the early days of Tyson.

Comment

He did not lift weights with Cus

I emailed Steve Lott last year and he confirmed that Tyson never lifted weight with Cus. He visited a health club only to use the stationary cylcle. Lott said that Cus emphasized head movement above all else. Move your head every single time you throw a punch.

Comment

Not sure what Cus did as to weekly training. I was there when there was sparring with guys we brought into spar! Normally there would be a light day from strenuous work. Might be a lighter run and exercises and shadowing out!!
          Mike did alot of shadow work when he was a kid, and I think he ended his workouts with shaking out with some shadowing!!
          Cus's style is extremely physically demanding and flexability is a key to doing the style without getting exhausted!
          Alot of his opponents early were from my matchmaker and I knew them all very well so whatever Cus wanted as to info he got from me and another confidant Sean Malone Sr. We had a conection with Cus long before Mike was turned over to Cus! Mke was a tremendous conditioned fighter early in his career, from 14yrs to 20yrs I doubt you could find someone who worked harder!! He was a flawed kid with alot of tuff luck but we loved him! Ray

Comment

More on Tyson's style

I personally think Tyson's style was very good for a young kid, requiring flexibility and intensity. But as a man grows older, he looses flexibility and starts to burn out mentally and physically. I do not think a man in his 30's could utilize that style. Too mentally and physically demanding.

Comment

Working...
            X