No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr: Golovkin Purse Was Not What I Expected

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr: Golovkin Purse Was Not What I Expected

Former champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. says he was offered a much lower purse then expected for a potential fight with WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, who would move up to 168-pounds to take the fight. The match was targeted for July 19th at the Forum in Los Angeles but now appears to be a dead issue with both fighters heading in different directions.

Chavez was willing to take the fight, but only as long as Top Rank provided no promotional contract extension in the agreement. Chavez believes his contract expires by the end of the year and Top Rank claims to have him until October 2015.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Is this a wake up call for Chavez, letting him know he isn't as great as he thinks he is?

Comment

I was really looking forward to this, I think it would've been a great fight. Too bad Chavez couldn't come to an agreement.

Comment

This isht is killing boxing.

Comment

I can understand him not wanting to sign an extension. He thinks he does better as a free agent and it's right to try if that's what he wants.

What would have been a fair offer without the extension though?

Comment

He makes a lot more sense than Bob Arum. Bob will give details and dates relating to Chavez' responsabilities, but Bob can do what he wants, without arbitration. How much is too much, Bob? How crazy are his demands? We all know Bob has an iron clad contract till Oct 2015, so he can abuse his authority, show Chavez a lesson, that'all it is.

Comment

Chavez says he thinks his contract up at end of year while Arum says till Oct 2015. I wonder if this is similar to the Nonito contract when he tried to leave and Bob said no cause there were stipulations in there where the injury added a year or so. I wonder if the suspension added time to his sentence.

Boxers need to get better contract lawyers it seems

Comment

Funny to hear another fighter show Golovkin respect in the media and admit that he is indeed a threat.

Many others (bar Lara, Ward and the people he's KO'd already) seem to be playing his skills/power down and quietly avoiding him

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                  Is this a wake up call for Chavez, letting him know he isn't as great as he thinks he is?
                  No it is NOT...he's just not stupid...is he skillful..not really and we all can agree on that and the fact that he's got a reputation off his daddy's name...however, he understands that being mexican he has a big fan base already on top of the Chavez name. He also knows golovikin has a good fan base too and so if he's going to risk it all in a high profile fight with some who's considered dangerous he wants to be paid accordingly...read the article he said it himself...he's not asking for anything excessive just be fair...it's arum who's being the f.uckimg dummy...how can he say that he doesn't see it worth it if Chavez and on being a free agent after the fight? So what?!!?' It's his career and life let him go and stop trying to trap and force people into extensions with ur company...if they're unhappy let them go or work out a deal and pony up the money...stop pocketing every penny out of these boxers...

Comment

ESPN says that without the extension Chavez jr was offered 2.5 million, same as his first Brian Vera fight. This offer is 'less then 1/3rd' what was offered to Chavez with extensions. Make of this what you will.

Comment

Working...
                    X