No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    If 150k was successfu, after those paydays and all that advertising, then we'd see a hell of a lot more ppvs from various boxers. I think it's pretty clear that most promoters aren't going to bother unless they have a shot at 250k +. They certainly aren't going to be running out to put on more 150k ppvs. We can be forgiving in our use of the word "success" but no one does this to break even. And, by that definition, it was a disappointment and a failure.
    Very few boxers can sell even 150k, and right now none of them are OK with a 2m guarantee on ppv

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      Very few boxers can sell even 150k, and right now none of them are OK with a 2m guarantee on ppv
      Meaningless in relation to my post, which was about success. We saw a 4mill+ ppv this year. The fans will pay for fights they want to see. 150k is laughable at best. It means you don't get anymore ppvs unless you hitch your name to someone who counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        I don't know how they turned a profit with 150k buys. They have to give half to the networks. So I don't know how, let's say if 150k is the rela number, that's actually a profit? That's like $4.5million after you split it.
        dont u get it they didnt even come close to 150 they are just saying that if it were true they would of released the numbers and not just told us

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Meaningless in relation to my post, which was about success. We saw a 4mill+ ppv this year. The fans will pay for fights they want to see. 150k is laughable at best. It means you don't get anymore ppvs unless you hitch your name to someone who counts.
          Depends on the expenses, 150k can be quite profitable. Here it allowed them to make a fight that's beyond HBos budget. But yeah, at this point the reward has not caught up to the risk if you're name fighter in Gggs path

Comment

• Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
            Article says $2m gate, add in the PPV buys you gotta figure it turned a profit or came close.

But it will still put GGG on the bad side of things when it comes to negotiating a fight with Canelo or Cotto.
            HBO didn't come out in the 'red', of course...
            ... Now it's interesting to find out how many PPVs Cotto-Canelo will actually sell...

... In case Cotto-Canelo is a huge PPV success, HBO is likely to press GGG to take the fight on their terms -- maybe GGG isn't a 'businessman', but his handlers are...

Comment

• Lmao.......

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I don't know how they turned a profit with 150k buys. They have to give half to the networks. So I don't know how, let's say if 150k is the rela number, that's actually a profit? That's like $4.5million after you split it.
                150x55=8.2m*0.5 (HBO) = 4.1m + 2m gate + 100k merch = 6.2m - 4m purse = 2.2m - MSG - advertising = profit

I'd also argue that it''s much closer to 60 and not 55.. who the hell watches sports in SD? If vast majority bought HD, that's another 400k.

They did fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  150x55=8.2m*0.5 (HBO) = 4.1m + 2m gate + 100k merch = 6.2m - 4m purse = 2.2m - MSG - advertising = profit

I'd also argue that it''s much closer to 60 and not 55.. who the hell watches sports in SD? If vast majority bought HD, that's another 400k.

They did fine.
                  How much was spent on advertising?

Based on everything I saw, Id say alot.

How much does MSG keep from the gate? You think the fighters get to keep all of the merchandise money? How about NY's crazy taxes?

Im not sure they did fine at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X