No announcement yet.

Ben Thompson - Team Escobedo agreed for Broner to come in at 134

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
    Why the hell would Escobedo come in at 130 if he knew it was a 134 catchweight? He drained himself on purpose?
    Obviously man

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
      And actually, to address the Mayweather/Marquez comparison, if you take the time to do some research, you'll learn that Marquez and his trainer/manager, Nacho Beristain, knew full well that Mayweather wasn't going to fight him at a catchweight. I'm not even sure why that would make any sense when he was angling himself for a Pacquiao fight and a catchweight fight with Marquez would've given Pacquiao the leverage to demand Mayweather to fight him at a lower weight. What the contract stipulated was that Mayweather would TRY to come in lower than 147 and would TRY to meet him at a lower weight, and if they weren't close in weight, Marquez would be rewarded a dollar amount for every pound away from each they were. Hence the reason why NO ONE would verify what weight the fight was taking place at. Even up until the final press conference, Golden Boy Promotions was telling everyone to just tune in to the weigh-in to see what weight the fight was at...and Leonard Ellerbe insisted it was simply a "welterweight" fight. There was no big stink when Mayweather didn't "make weight" allegedly because everyone already knew what the deal was. And it wasn't Mayweather that ended up paying Marquez the extra money he got...it was his own promoter. The truth is out their my friend if you know where to find it.
      Finally someone says what was going on. I've been wanting to know why they wouldn't confirm the weight since the fight happened.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
        Obviously man
        okay, I'm thinking for the title.

Comment

"The truth is out their my friend if you know where to find it."

Yea I believe everything you say...

Comment

Originally posted by PBFP4P View Post
            Does anyone take Ben Thompson and that website serious?

Comment

More....

Read it till the end. Nice little dig at Pac.

LOL. It's not a bull**** statement. Boxing is a business. Virtually every move that someone makes in boxing is a business move. And I totally disagree. Boxing is a "niche" sport these days because of boxing and football, two sports that exploded over the past 50-60 years. Boxing has ALWAYS been about making the right business moves for your fighters. This is how they earn their living, so OF COURSE they're going to do what's in their best interest to maximize their earning potential.

And the fact that Team Escobedo knew absolutely DOES make it OK. They could have gladly chosen not to go through with the fight, but hey, that wouldn't have been the smart business move to make. In fact, the whole reason why Rollando Arrellano through a fit even after already knowing was because he was trying to get his fighter even more money. It's always about business. And I highly doubt the 3.5 pounds is going to make any difference considering that he can't weigh in more than 140 the morning of the fight. By the time, Escobedo will likely be weighing 140 too. Come fight time, both of these guys will likely be weighing the same regardless, so I don't think it's going to be unfair, and neither does Team Escobedo, which is the reason why they had no problem in quickly agreeing. What IS unfair is making a welterweight champion defend his title at a weight lower than what's legally allowed, as was the case when Pacquiao fought Miguel Cotto. THAT is unfair.

Comment

More.......

Not really. Great champions do that ALL THE TIME. Check the history of boxing and look at the weight differences in a lot of those fights. The Klitschko's generally have 20-30 pounds on all of their opponents. Chavez Jr. usually has 20-30 pounds on his opponent the night of the fight. Oscar De La Hoya had about 20 pounds on Mayweather when they fought. This is NORMAL in boxing, it's just the media likes to make it bigger than it is because it becomes a story that fans such as yourself latch on to. Boxers spar and fight fighters that are bigger than them all the time. Not to mention, in Floyd, we're not talking about a guy who takes off 20 pounds to make 147. He walks around at that weight. On fight night, he likely only weighed 10 pounds more than Marquez. Ironically, Marquez (the career Featherweight and recent lightweight) fought Pacquiao at Welterweight in a catchweight fight and everyone was okay with it. Go figure. And again, do your research...no one was able to confirm what weight that Mayweather vs. Marquez was at other than there was some talk about them initially not agreeing on the weight. I certainly don't recall Golden Boy Promotions promoting it as a catchweight bout, as they wouldn't even comment on the weight at the final press conference. And Leonard Ellerbe consistently referred to it as a "welterweight" bout. THE REAL PROBLEM with boxing as that there are WAY TOO MANY jaded journalists and members of the media out there who focus too much on the negativity of the sport. That only adds to ire of the jaded fans who always talk about something "killing" the sport. Personally, I try not to worry about the truly "trivial" stuff and focus more on appreciating the guys and gals who kill themselves in the gym in order to step into the ring to beat the crap out of each other for your entertainment....whether they make weight or not. As far as I'm concerned, that's between the two people who are about to throw down. If they don't want to fight, they don't have to. Just my two cents on all of it.

Comment

Thompson is trying so hard to spin this, even adding the "LOL" at the end like a douche. Broner stated just a couple of days ago, "This will be my last fight at 130 pounds", not 134lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by PBFP4P View Post
                    Does anyone take Ben Thompson and that website serious?
                    95% of a certain fighter's fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                      Finally someone says what was going on. I've been wanting to know why they wouldn't confirm the weight since the fight happened.
                      If it's true, just shows that Floyd had a real incentive to cut weight.....having Oscar pay the penalty.

Oh, but they promised he would "try" to do it

Comment

Working...
                      X