No announcement yet.

Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money

Why is it that boxing fans all make the same excuse for their favorite fighters making no attempt to unify belts, or fight the most challenging opponents?
    Well he took the fight with bigger money.

Is anyone else tired of this? I mean half of these guys are rich enough for their children's children to live perfectly comfortable lives. You've got a sport in decline, people holding belts in weightclasses where they don't belong, only fighting smaller opponents, and up and coming contenders spending the majority of their careers in near obscurity fighting elite level journeymen.

Still a lot of fans will act like business sense and being rich are important skills for a boxer to possess. Like they make him a better boxer or solidify his place as an all time great. I long for an international sanctioning body, one belt per weightclass, and set salaries based on tiers of opposition. I know I know, its a rant, but just tell me how I'm wrong or how you feel on the subject.

money is the root of evil

Comment

I hear you man. Thing is, in yesteryear, the promoters had a lot more control over the fights than they do now (they used to make a lot more money than the fighters) so they could press or dictate certain fights to take place. The fighters have lots more control now, so it makes sense that they want to take care of their money situation - nothing wrong in that.

So, I think in 2014 the most we can expect and demand is that fighters take a mix of who pays the most, and who means the most (a 50:50 risk:reward ratio). Sorta like what Cotto, Bradley, Froch, Malignagni, Khan etc do. These guys will take the hard challenges all day, but these hard challenges will be accompanied with good paydays. Fighters like Floyd and Ward suck because its all about getting it as close to 0% risk and 100% reward as they possibly can and we can and do deride that.

Comment

I hear you. But this has been happening in boxing for a long, long, long time now.

Comment

#lomachenko is the #change
          fnck money he just wants to collect all the damn belts!

Comment

Originally posted by Masters01 View Post
            I hear you man. Thing is, in yesteryear, the promoters had a lot more control over the fights than they do now (they used to make a lot more money than the fighters) so they could press or dictate certain fights to take place. The fighters have lots more control now, so it makes sense that they want to take care of their money situation - nothing wrong in that.

So, I think in 2014 the most we can expect and demand is that fighters take a mix of who pays the most, and who means the most (a 50:50 risk:reward ratio). Sorta like what Cotto, Bradley, Froch, Malignagni, Khan etc do. These guys will take the hard challenges all day, but these hard challenges will be accompanied with good paydays. Fighters like Floyd and Ward suck because its all about getting it as close to 0% risk and 100% reward as they possibly can and we can and do deride that.
            Thats about all I can hope for I guess, well said.

Comment

Floyd fans - guys like larryxxx defended Stevenson for
              Ducking Kovalev

They formed the SDF which is infamous to this day
              You also have some stormtroopers such as Rome by ko make the list
              Last edited by jas; 07-07-2014, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Floyd just unified 2 fights in a row...Hopkins just unified and guess what.....all people did was complain

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                  Floyd fans - guys like larryxxx defended Stevenson for
                  Ducking Stevenson

They formed the SDF which is infamous to this day
                  You also have some stormtroopers such as Rome by ko make the list
                  So Stevenson ducked himself??and what is SDF??

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                    So Stevenson ducked himself??and what is SDF??
                    kovalev

The illustrious Stevenson defence force .

Comment

Working...
                    X