No announcement yet.

James Toney Dumped From Adamek PPV Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney Dumped From Adamek PPV Fight

Boxing scribe Chris Mannix is reporting via Twitter this evening that James “Lights Out” Toney has been pulled from a card on September 8 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey that would have seen him fighting a headline Polish Pay Per View match against Tomasz Adamek.

The bout has been widely criticized in the boxing press as a total mismatch between a current heavyweight contender and a long-past-his-prime and possibly brain-damaged 43-year-old fighter who owes over $350,000 in back taxes to the California State government.

Toney didn’t help his case when he videotaped a YouTube segment in which he threatened to go the ESPN offices and attack boxing scribe Dan Rafael, who criticized the Toney-Adamek match-up.

So far, no official reason has been given for the Toney cancellation. Boxing Insider will update this story as details become available.

(From Boxing Insider)

Good if it's true. That fight had no business happening.

Comment

Comment

Great news....

Comment

Tyson fury is looking for you adamek

Comment

Damn it James! And im tryin to help your fat ass get a title shot at Wlad and you do all this stupid ****

Comment

Even though we didn't get alomg that great I feel bad for James at this point in his career. His movement is gone, his reactions have slowed and if you can decipher 7 out of any 10 words that he speaks than you are doing better than most at the translating.

From his 2nd amatuer fight until now I have watched his escalation from a raw talent to a finely polished world champion, you can thank Bill Miller for that aswell as James.

Remembering the car rides to Canada for our amatuer bouts, the typical joking and rowdyness expected from guys who are driving to fight somebody. Seeing James again on the stair master back in the day trying to shed the pounds that always magically appeared around his belly inbetween his title defenses. I would shake my head watching him dry out on that machine, why not just eat sensibly in between fights. But then I would be shaking my head in amazement as I watch him work his craft in the gyms ring, when 'on' he was doing incredible things, simply incredible things.

That was 18 years ago that he was doing these things and through that time I watched him movement in wieght still amazing people when he's right. James has spent 25 years in the ring more often than not impressing those who had the pleasure to see him in action.

But those days are done and have been for a few years now. Is James still a skilled world class heaveyweight? As far as skill and knowledge in that ring no heavywieght can match James' fight. Unfortunately the heavywieghts now have bodies that are far superior to James'. The added weight on those old legs is no longer tolerable by James' worn out shell of of a body and what he once was.

I understand debt and a man doing what he must do to take care of those debts but this is different. James Toney has given some great moments in his 25+ years in the ring. James has nothing to prove to anyone but how else could he pay off the debts that were spoken of in this thread. Damned if he does and damned if he don't...............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
                Damn it James! And im tryin to help your fat ass get a title shot at Wlad and you do all this stupid **** ]
                Toney is done -- after this, no major promoter is going near him ever again.

Kathy Duva was naive and was badly stung by the negative press this match-up got. Toney is not worth the bad publicity for Main Events, and if something tragic did occur in the fight, you can imagine how bad it would be for Duva.

You can forget a fight with Wlad or anybody else at the top level for James Toney. He's finished.

I shudder to think of Toney in against Wlad -- how badly do you hate the poor old guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Thor-Odinson View Post
                  Tyson fury is looking for you adamek
                  If they want a Polish PPV, why not match Adamek up against Wach? That would be huge in Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                    Toney will be maaad when he hears it
                    Toney's video with him obscenely threatening to go to ESPN and beat up Dan Rafael just played into the image of him as punch-drunk and not in control of himself.

That was a huge mistake for Toney. He can thank his buddy Elie Seckbach for helping him lose the payday.

Comment

Working...
                    X