No announcement yet.

Tszyu blew a chance to face Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tszyu blew a chance to face Floyd Mayweather

It took Kostya Tszyu so long to heal from his injuries after his '03 win over Leija, he took a one and a half year off.

When Floyd Mayweather started to campaign at 140 in 2004, his first choice of an opponent was Spady (Spadafora who is 45-0-1 to this day) and then opted for DeMarcus Corley when Paul was unavailable.

If Tszyu was ready to fight on, a Mayweather-Tszyu is possible and a helluva match-up, I recall Kostya had his issues with Sharmba Mitchell in their first fight and knock him out impressively in late '04 which was his last win.

From the Gatti fight and after, Floyd is gonna win over Tszyu but if their fight has taken place before the Mitchell rematch, Kostya is even bet.

It will be interesting if Mayweather can dominate Tszyu for 12 rounds, something that's hard to do, Kostya also throws less punches but with accuracy and perfect timing as Floyd is, and has power in both hands.

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    It took Kostya Tszyu so long to heal from his injuries after his '03 win over Leija, he took a one and a half year off.

When Floyd Mayweather started to campaign at 140 in 2004, his first choice of an opponent was Spady (Spadafora who is 45-0-1 to this day) and then opted for DeMarcus Corley when Paul was unavailable.

If Tszyu was ready to fight on, a Mayweather-Tszyu is possible and a helluva match-up, I recall Kostya had his issues with Sharmba Mitchell in their first fight and knock him out impressively in late '04 which was his last win.

From the Gatti fight and after, Floyd is gonna win over Tszyu but if their fight has taken place before the Mitchell rematch, Kostya is even bet.

It will be interesting if Mayweather can dominate Tszyu for 12 rounds, something that's hard to do, Kostya also throws less punches but with accuracy and perfect timing as Floyd is, and has power in both hands.
    Tszyu was under contract to Showtime, one of their last exclusives under 'great fights.' That fight had huge obstacles.

Comment

I really liked Tszyu even though he beat a past-his-prime Julio Cesar Chavez. I'm still shocked about his loss to Hatton. God knows why he didn't give it another go...

Comment

I think Floyd would have beaten him, but it would have been his toughest fight up till Cotto in my opinion. Would have been a helluva scalp to add to his legacy too. Tszyu is highly regarded all time at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I think Floyd would have beaten him, but it would have been his toughest fight up till Cotto in my opinion. Would have been a helluva scalp to add to his legacy too. Tszyu is highly regarded all time at 140.
          I agree.

Personally I was not pleased by his choice to fight Gatti however. As much as I love Gatti, I couldn't quite get over the fact that he was outboxed and beat by Manfredy and beat twice by Robinson. Gatti winning a vacant title wasn't enough for me to place Gatti as a worthy foe for Mayweather or the type of opponent Floyd needed to claim his third world title. That win made the Ring move Mayweather to #1p4p, where I felt the p4p move required a opponent the likes of a fighter like Tszyu.
          Last edited by TBear; 06-27-2012, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Why Mayweather didn't fight Tszyu after Tszyu's injuries healed? Mayweather was a star and if he demanded the fight he would have got it. But he didn't have interest in Tszyu.

Comment

Originally posted by Growth View Post
              Why Mayweather didn't fight Tszyu after Tszyu's injuries healed? Mayweather was a star and if he demanded the fight he would have got it. But he didn't have interest in Tszyu.
              They were not only on opposing networks, but the timing was wrong.

Comment

Mayweather would dominate Tszyu.

I don't think it would have been even remotely competitive.

Completely and utterly different class of fighters.

Comment

Don't you mean Mayweather blew his chance? Kostya was the draw back then, not Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by Growth View Post
                    Prior to the ODH fight, floyd Mayweather would be the guy no one wanted to fight. he had to go to AC to fight Gatti, who was nowhere near floyds level. Lets not act like 2003-05 floyd was "Money Mayweather"!

Comment

Working...
                    X