No announcement yet.

How to improve my left hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
    Try the European style 1-3.... jab left hook but take the left hook right after the jab keep it out there...
    Just to clarify, you mean two punches with one move, like a double jab except the second one's a hook?

Comment

Originally posted by saintpat View Post
      As concerns technique, I think all the above advice is correct. I'll expound on it a bit:

1) A good idea for making sure you are getting better hip rotation on your hook (or even turning your body with your jab or throwing your right) is to pay attention to where your belly button is pointed.

Look it where it is in your normal stance. Then when you throw the hook with proper hip rotation, look where it ends up -- if your hip rotates it should be more or less pointing to the wall to your right. If you spend some time paying attention to this, you'll reinforce hip rotation.

2) Try doing a lot of slow-motion shadowboxing on this, paying full attention to proper technique as it has been taught to you. It's like a walk-through in football, going through the plays at walking speed over and over so that you know your "steps" (on in boxing, your body motion) better when you get to full speed. Builds muscle memory for when you get to the point where you are doing without thinking so that your body remembers to do it right.

Now beyond technique, you asked about how to get better and stronger with your left hand. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Do some shadowboxing with a very light weight -- couple of pounds of dumbbell or weighted gloves, etc. -- every day with the left hand.

2) Get one of those squeeze balls and work it with your left hand constantly to try to build up the strength where it is more equal to the right.

3) For dexterity -- better muscle control, better connection between the brain and the left, basically -- carry a tennis ball around and practice bouncing it on the ground and catching it just with the left. Dribble with it. Toss it against a wall (aiming for better and better accuracy) and catch it with that hand. Anything like this. The better you get, pick up speed -- throw it harder, etc.
      Thanks bro, much appreciated.

Originally posted by Locche View Post
      Just to clarify, you mean two punches with one move, like a double jab except the second one's a hook?
      I assume its the quick jab followed by the disguised left hook, before you fully bring back the jab you do a quick left jab, sort of like the second gif except I would be doing it instantaneously with more disguise.

Comment

Working...
      X