Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(UNEDITED) ...on Sugar Ray Leonard I did for BOXING NEWS (U.K.)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray was very aware of the knockout...he went for the KO almost every time out...he always found time to sit down and got for it...even against Hagler, there were times during that fight when Ray really sat down and dug in HARD (its just that Hagler was such a rock of a man, the punches bounced off like bullets off of Supermans chest)...love him or hate him, it would be foolish for someone to somehow imply that SRL was not a TRULY GREAT fighter.

Comment

Great read! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        Great read! Thanks
        Appreciate it, Z-Man...

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
          Appreciate it, Z-Man...
          Sugar Ray Leonard had me at the Olympics, I was 10 at the time. So many great fights & great wins.
          When he fought Hearns the first time, I thought Hearns would stop him with a vicious straight right. I was in High School when me & my buddies would share a single ring magazine, we took turns buying it, passed it around. We just shared. People share now, but it costs less to do so.

I also like Leonard for his honesty about the first Duran fight. He got pulled into Duran's machismo game. He corrected it in the rematch.

If I didn't see it, I would never have believed Duran would be capable of dropping Iran Barkley.

I look forward to your next thread!

Zaroku

Comment

As a kid and a non-American,I didn't like SRL,due to all his flamboyance.On top of that, he beat my favorite fighter in Marvelous Marvin.
            But in time I have grown to respect and appreciate him as a fighter and realize how great he was.
            As much as Floyd Jr fans harp on about their man,there's no way fathomable that SRL would have lost to him.And we know that Mayweather would never have fought even a faded Duran,let alone a peak one.SRL was a certified,fearless stud.

Comment

Originally posted by Cracaphat View Post
              As a kid and a non-American,I didn't like SRL,due to all his flamboyance.On top of that, he beat my favorite fighter in Marvelous Marvin.
              But in time I have grown to respect and appreciate him as a fighter and realize how great he was.
              As much as Floyd Jr fans harp on about their man,there's no way fathomable that SRL would have lost to him.And we know that Mayweather would never have fought even a faded Duran,let alone a peak one.SRL was a certified,fearless stud.
              One thing about Ray, he PROVED that he could change gears and that he could find a way )even if he had to DIG for it) to actually win against the odds of the moment...thats EXTREMELY hard to do once, let alone more than a few times...

Comment

ALL things considered, a case could be made for SRL as a top 10 ATG...

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                  ALL things considered, a case could be made for SRL as a top 10 ATG...
                  I was not a Sugar Ray Leonard fan back then...But checkout the user name I have selected "SUGAR RAY LENRD" that should tell you something... by the way I like your posts, remember when Ray moved up in wgt to 154 lb the 1st time to challenge WBA champ Ayube khalu? Boy I remember getting the same color of trunks for my next amatuer fight...they were black trunks w/ red stripes...(if my memory serves me right....)

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                    I was not a Sugar Ray Leonard fan back then...But checkout the user name I have selected "SUGAR RAY LENRD" that should tell you something... by the way I like your posts, remember when Ray moved up in wgt to 154 lb the 1st time to challenge WBA champ Ayube khalu? Boy I remember getting the same color of trunks for my next amatuer fight...they were black trunks w/ red stripes...(if my memory serves me right....)
                    Yup, against Kalule, and Ray attempted the flip in the ring and didnt QUITE make it all the way LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X