Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler vs Duran - Was it a razor-thin decision?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syf View Post
    Slanderous stuff like this should not be permissable. Ray is an established guy, he posted proof that he not only ran a gym, but coached at least one pro fighter. Saying this to someone like him is not the same as flaming some anonymous poster. To suggest he molested kids that he was trying to help is f'ed up.

Whoever closed Ray's "proof" thread down should close YOU down

Get ya life
    That is disgraceful. If that doesn't get you banned, it's hard to imagine what will.

When will the powers that be here finally recognize Sonnyboy as the evil he truly is?

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
      Hands of Stone by Christian Giudice
      "There was a huge disparity between the judges’ scorecards and the overall feeling of the sportswriters: Jerry Lisker, New York Post, 11-4; Dick Young, New York Post, 10-4-1; Pete Axthelm, Newsweek, 9-5-1; Phil Pepe, New York Daily News, 11-3-1; Stan Hochman, Philadelphia Daily News, 8-5-2; John Schulian, Chicago Sun-Times, 8-5-2; Joe Gergen, Newsday, 10-4-1; Bob Verdi, Chicago Tribune, 9-4-2; Will Grimsley, Associated Press, 8-7, all for Hagler. The morning headlines ranged from “Hagler is still champ, but invincible no more,” to “Mere Survival Isn’t a Revival for Duran”

Four Kings by George Kimball

"Scoring at ringside, I had Hagler up 146-140, a margin more in line with most non-WBA judges who watched the fight that night"
      Care to respond to this post?

Comment

Hagler clearly won but It was a tough night for him. Most of the rounds were close and they were showing each other some serious moves that night. Hagler went on to say he earned his PhD in boxing after Duran. Duran wasn't just bad ass he was also a genius in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          That is disgraceful. If that doesn't get you banned, it's hard to imagine what will.

When will the powers that be here finally recognize Sonnyboy as the evil he truly is?
          Don't know about evil I just think he is mentally ill. Me saying that wasn't me insulting him it is a genuine belief.
          That comment he made though should get some punishment no matter how mental he is

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Care to respond to this post?
            I reckon he'll put some more worthless links up from obscure newspapers parroting the judges verdict

Comment

I saw it as a Hagler win. I remember watching it on TV with my high school buddies, I didn't think it was a close fight.

Comment

The only time I scored the fight, I had it 9-6 for Hagler, in fact, 2 or 3 of those closer rounds could have gone Duran's way and ended up a draw. Fact is, it was a disappointing fight, the much bigger, fresher, stronger Hagler couldn't stop a 5'6'' LW who was barely competitive at MW up until that point.

Think about it, Duran moved straight up from fight at LMW to fighting THE mw champion of the world. He was barely a year removed form having lost to Laing and would go on to be annihilated by Hearns. I think I once saw an interview with Hagler where he stated that he found Duran more awkward than he expected, couldn't time him and just settled for a long, points fight.

Comment

Probably 9-6 to hagler but when you consider that hagler won the last 2 rounds it was quite close and if duran had won those last two rounds instead of hagler then he would have lost on points......I don't believe hagler took it easy on duran I just felt duran was such a clever inside fighter that it's not an easy feat to dominate him in close....duran was also past him prime and way out of his weight class.....just to get an idea of how difficult it is to nail duran consistently durans face was hardly marked at the end of 15 rounds and yet hagler was cut and his eyes were swollen....hagler was suppose to be at his upmost prime and yet duran took hagler the whole way.....

To me this showed haglers limitations and it was actually that catalyst that made sugar ray leonard wanna come back and fight hagler....duran actually leaned over to leonard and said you sugar you can beat him

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
                    You'll going to have to scan Ring Magazine, Boxing Illustrated etc and put them up because the newspaper links you put up are worthless

We have the Gadsen Times which just repeats the judges scoring without offering an opinion

The Bryan Times
                    Says Hagler took control in the 6th round onwards

Boca Raton News

Pretty much offers the judges scorecards and some quotes from the fighters

The Ottawa Citizen takes us to round 8 and no further

Bangor Daily News doesn't add anything

Boxing News just repeats the judges scorecards and offers no opinion the person could've written that article without having seen the fight.

So most of them take the judges scoring as gospel and say whoever the judges say won the round won the round. It's not like The Bangor Daily News is going to have someone ringside is it? It doesn't look like many of them actually watched the fight on TV either.

Or was the idea that I didn't check those links and took them as read.
                    Kinda figured this would go unanswered.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      Kinda figured this would go unanswered.
                      If that comment is directed at me slime ball, Well it aint upto me to answer nothing. I agree with the Judges at ringside who scored the fight. I agree with Ring Magazine live reporter who scored the fight... What you are doing, is trying to find an angle to knife me. It won't happen rent-boy, Your forgetting i know your history, and your history of boxing is nothing special. In fact it is so limited it is laughable... Let me remind you of one of your howlers: "Tommy Morrison is right up there with the greatest of all time"....

Comment

Working...
                      X