Collapse
No announcement yet.

dropping weight... lose power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you will lose a tiny bit of power with your mass. HOWEVER, you will actually hit "harder" than before as you drop into a smaller weight class and fight naturally smaller framed people.

To keep it simple, you'll hit slightly less hard, but your power will be more effective as you're fighting people of relatively smaller bone structure than you are now.

Comment

whenever i lose alot of weight i never lose my power which is a very good thing

Comment

if the muscle builds up, and fat goes down, muscle weighs more than fat, so depends how much muscle and how much fat

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin'
          What a stupid question. OF course you WON'T loser power. Don't you fools realize that 'power' come from speed and from technique. The above is like asking 'will I be able to kick as powerful in soccer if i lose weight'. **** don't make sense.
          Power dosnt always come from speed and technique.

Thats like saying i swing a light claw hammer with speed and good technique, hurts more then swinging at u not quite as fast with a heavy lump hammer.

Another instance wud be a light weight punches faster then a heavy weight, so if speed equals power how come generally speaking heavy weights hit harder? This wud apply even with technique thrown into the mix.

Speed and technique helps if ur not a naturally hard hitter/puncher. People that can hit hard when they want to dont need to rely on speed and technique,(forman 4 instance) they have the intention to hit hard and they do. Some people r just able to hit hard simple as that.But ur point about speed= power is true never the less in some circumstances.

Comment

What a stupid question. OF course you WON'T loser power. Don't you fools realize that 'power' come from speed and from technique. The above is like asking 'will I be able to kick as powerful in soccer if i lose weight'. **** don't make sense.
            No, because you put your weight into punches so you may loose some power. What everone said about how you lose the weight, who you are fighting and gaining speed also count for a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by madkatzspeed
              i was just wondering if you could lose your power when you drop your body fat weight.and start getting toned/ripped. i am 160. people consider me strong...i still have alot of fat on me.. i want my body fat below %10 or around there.. do you think i will lose some of my power if i lose my fat and gain muscle? i want to get to about 130-140 but will i lose my power?

Punching power is not exclusively related to muscle strength. There are lots of strong men in the world, but only a small minority have a knockout punch. All you need to do is concentrate on fitness and conditioning the body for boxing. Having a target weight as a goal is usually a mistake. Just get in shape and let your body weight take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigga
                Power dosnt always come from speed and technique.

Thats like saying i swing a light claw hammer with speed and good technique, hurts more then swinging at u not quite as fast with a heavy lump hammer.

Another instance wud be a light weight punches faster then a heavy weight, so if speed equals power how come generally speaking heavy weights hit harder? This wud apply even with technique thrown into the mix.

Speed and technique helps if ur not a naturally hard hitter/puncher. People that can hit hard when they want to dont need to rely on speed and technique,(forman 4 instance) they have the intention to hit hard and they do. Some people r just able to hit hard simple as that.But ur point about speed= power is true never the less in some circumstances.
                I'm not talking about heavyweights. IT's a fact that HW's generally aren't as skilled as the little guys because they are bigger and trhus rely on power and the knockout punch more then anything. It's the same in the NBA with big man...they just aren't as skilled.

Speed and technique for the most part = power. And that's fact. Technique also means shooting up from the legs/hips...comprehend?

Comment

I'm not talking about heavyweights. IT's a fact that HW's generally aren't as skilled as the little guys because they are bigger and trhus rely on power and the knockout punch more then anything. It's the same in the NBA with big man...they just aren't as skilled.

Speed and technique for the most part = power. And that's fact. Technique also means shooting up from the legs/hips...comprehend?
                  This is the scientific formula for power:

Power = speed x mass (weight)

This means that power ALWAYS goes down if you lose weight. End of discussion! Don't come in here and call people fools and ******s, when you yourself don't have the BASIC knowledge about how these things work.
                  Heavyweights can be every bit as skilled as smaller guys, the difference is that the heavier you get, the less relative strength you'll generally have. That means the tempo and punch output will come down a bit, the heavier fighters get. This is the reason HW fighters seem so different from the old school. Marciano was a cruiserweight. Dempsey a Light Heavy.

Also, with weightloss, there's a risk of loss of muscle mass. If weightloss is excessive, you'll weaken some of your fast twitch fibre, and this will make your PHYSICAL ability to produce speed go down.
                  What's you point about technique worth? Are you saying that dropping from, for example, welterweight to lightweight will automatically improve technique? There are NO reasons to believe that a guy losing weight will get better technique as a trade off. Therefore the equation goes like this:

Same technique + less weight + less speed = Less power!

Comment

This makes no sense 2 me.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
                      This is the scientific formula for power:

Power = speed x mass (weight)

This means that power ALWAYS goes down if you lose weight. End of discussion!
                      Not true at all. If you work out in order to lose weight and your body fat goes down as a result, while your muscle mass stays the same, you will gain speed. So if speed x mass = power, the increase in speed will make up for the loss in mass. Now, if you will gain, lose, or conserve your punching power depends exclusively on how much mass was lost and how much speed was gained.

Comment

Working...
                      X