No announcement yet.

sparring.. a bit "scared"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    i been training for a year... yet i still have problems sparring because im afraid to hit my sparring partners... im sure this is a common problem for beginners, any "quick" fixes to this?? I can only go at a more realistic pace when they hit me with a hard combo...
    no trolling please, i know this sounds kinda stupid, but i really find it troubling.. i really wanna hit them hard and not feel guilty about it...
    Are your sparring partners around the same level of ability / experience / size?

Most lads don't have any issues if it's an even / competitive spar.

Comment

i been training for a year... yet i still have problems sparring because im afraid to hit my sparring partners... im sure this is a common problem for beginners, any "quick" fixes to this?? I can only go at a more realistic pace when they hit me with a hard combo...
      no trolling please, i know this sounds kinda stupid, but i really find it troubling.. i really wanna hit them hard and not feel guilty about it...
      actually I'm kinda the same. Even if my sparring partner is trying to take my head off, I'm likely to just to enough to keep him off me. I don't know what it is either..
      I like what someone else said about having a split personality for when your in the ring and my old trainer used to say, don't show mercy in the ring you can be friends after the fight.

Comment

thanks for the responses.

the ppl around my size are typically a bit lower than my level. (no im not ****ing arrogant, its just boxing isnt popular where i live, and where i am now [vacation])

the bigger ppl are around/lower level as well... but then they tend to go easier on me coz im 122-130 and theyre like 165+... so i cant ****ing set my head down to ****ing hit them when they're not slamming at me either..

only against one of my best friend, 170lbs, do we "accidentally" go hard and feel awesome about it... he's around my level but 6' 168lbs (me 5'7 125)

i usually spar more "normal" when im against ppl better than me. (coach, ppl with more experience) but coach dont spar me as much :/.

Comment

thanks for the responses.

the ppl around my size are typically a bit lower than my level. (no im not ****ing arrogant, its just boxing isnt popular where i live, and where i am now [vacation])

the bigger ppl are around/lower level as well... but then they tend to go easier on me coz im 122-130 and theyre like 165+... so i cant ****ing set my head down to ****ing hit them when they're not slamming at me either..

only against one of my best friend, 170lbs, do we "accidentally" go hard and feel awesome about it... he's around my level but 6' 168lbs (me 5'7 125)

i usually spar more "normal" when im against ppl better than me. (coach, ppl with more experience) but coach dont spar me as much :/.
          Sounds perfectly normal. You are not a bully - nothing wrong with that. I'm sure if you had a sparring partner at your weight and level, who was hitting you hard, you would have no issues returning the favour.

Have you asked your coach to arrange you some sparring with someone from another gym?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
            Are your sparring partners around the same level of ability / experience / size?

Most lads don't have any issues if it's an even / competitive spar.
            This. This is definitely the case. I haven't been boxing for long but as an 18 year old 122lb guy who was being thrown in with taller, older guys around 160-170 I can relate to this. I sparred fine against guys who were around 10lbs heavier and more experienced simply because weight didn't feel like an issue and I felt fine pulling the trigger. Against heavier guys though if they out weigh you by 40 pounds especially if you are around 122 like you mentioned then it gets annoying. I once had to go 4 hard rounds sparring a guy around 165 who had an inch or two in height over me, late 20s he was as well, and it was hell. Couldn't pull the trigger, couldn't do anything without being rocked by him. However on the other hand I once sparred a guy who was 10lbs heavier and thd same age except he was way more experienced than the others. And it was a great spar. Yeah I got schooled but it was very valuable. 3 rounds with someone your own weight can do wonders. Had no issue letting my hands go and even landed a few hard shots against him.

What I'm saying OP is that the poster above has summed it up perfectly. Ask your coach to match you up with guys around your own weight. Even 10lbs is okay to give up if it's against an experienced guy. From the sounds of it you have heavier guys pulling punches against you. That's not ideal because they can still hurt anyway, you won't want to throw against them but more importantly you won't get that work in. Ask your coach for some partners (maybe from another gym) who are around your weight. I guarantee you that when you spar guys around or 10lbs at most above your weight you will have no issue pulling the trigger. Odds are you'll get schooled a little by them but that's part of the game. But you will have no problem throwing the occasional hard shot and your confidence will improve.
            Last edited by Wuckoo; 08-16-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Get out of the ring. And never return. You do not belong in the ring. It's one thing not to like to get hit but not liking to hit someone... That's funny. Get out of the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                Get out of the ring. And never return. You do not belong in the ring. It's one thing not to like to get hit but not liking to hit someone... That's funny. Get out of the ring.
                It looks more like the op isn't hitting them because he's afraid of being hit by the heavier guys. OP clearly wants to overcome this issue so he's asking for help but you sure ain't helping. Maybe you ought to get out of this thread and never return.

Comment

its fine. let the negative comments roll in lol.
                  i dont expect people to understand me over a forum.
                  don't get me wrong, i wanna hit somebody hard. i have no problem doing it if they weren't friends lol.

and thanks for the responses. but i think some misunderstood.
                  im scared to hit my friends T_T.. which is ****in weird

Comment

easy.... quit boxing.

Comment

Watch out lads, the keyboard warriors are here now...

Comment

Working...
                      X