Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson, Bernstein, and Tarver>>>Lampley, Steward, and Merchant agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson, Bernstein, and Tarver>>>Lampley, Steward, and Merchant agree?

Personally, I love Gus Johnson, Al Bernstein, and Antonio Tarver as a commentating team. Gus is very good at calling the fight and Bernstein and the "Magic Man" are very insightful, unbiased, and they don't show favoritism. Lampley tends to get excited over nothing, Merchant is an old bafoon who stays complaining, I do like Manny Steward and Roy Jones though. Max Kellerman is cool as well.
    Johnson, Bernstein, and Tarver
    30.30%
    Lampley, Steward, and Merchant
    69.70%
    Last edited by $tate of Mind; 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM.

i like how merchant be sayin poetry right before the fight "david haye has blown his horn will he charge" other than that he be sayin some stupid **** jim lampley cool

Comment

Manny Steward is the worst

30 seconds into the fight

Steward : ''Fighter X is looking terrible, no head movement whatsoever, it's going to be a long night.''

Comment

nope. the HBO commentators are better imo.

Comment

Roy Jones and Tarver are both incredibly insightful. I was shocked at how much I was enjoying Tarver's commentary. Gus Johnson doesn't know enough about boxing in my book, and neither does Al Bernstein. Personally I think Steve Farhood is way better than Bernstein, Johnson, and that 'special' guy HBO hired, Max Kellerman. These days Lampley isn't so bad, he kinda sons the shit out of Max from time to time, and Merchant, who I believe is personally killing the sport with his cynicism (does he even like boxing anymore?), is pretty hilarious and worth watching. And I can go either way on Steward, sometimes he's dead on, sometimes he's biased and I kind of hate him as a trainer 50% of the time.

Comment

It is a pretty strong team. They lack the gravitas, but they definitely call a fight more accurately.

I'd say Johnson is a better play by play man than Lampley. Lampley miscalls so many exchanges and shows blatant favoritism.

I love Bernstein. He's got great knowledge, he's respectful and a real honest guy.

Tarver is pretty good, I'd say better than Jones at announcing, and maybe on par with Steward.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
              Roy Jones and Tarver are both incredibly insightful. I was shocked at how much I was enjoying Tarver's commentary. Gus Johnson doesn't know enough about boxing in my book, and neither does Al Bernstein. Personally I think Steve Farhood is way better than Bernstein, Johnson, and that 'special' guy HBO hired, Max Kellerman. These days Lampley isn't so bad, he kinda sons the shit out of Max from time to time, and Merchant, who I believe is personally killing the sport with his cynicism (does he even like boxing anymore?), is pretty hilarious and worth watching. And I can go either way on Steward, sometimes he's dead on, sometimes he's biased and I kind of hate him as a trainer 50% of the time.
              I think you're way off on Bernstein, the guy is one of the most avid and knowledgeable boxing fans out there. I can't stand Farhood's voice, so nasally. I also love Merchant because if it is a bad night of boxing, Merchant will riff on it until it's worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by hebi View Post
                I think you're way off on Bernstein, the guy is one of the most avid and knowledgeable boxing fans out there. I can't stand Farhood's voice, so nasally. I also love Merchant because if it is a bad night of boxing, Merchant will riff on it until it's worth watching.
                Bernstein always calls it wrong. He had a good night for Agbeko/Mares, but he's so off more often than not. I don't know if it's his vision or what. And Farhood's voice is an acquired taste I guess. He reminds me of Egon from Ghostbusters, I don't mind it. If you get past his voice, he's far more knowledgeable than Bernstein and Gus Johnson combined. Just because they hand Bernstein a script and let him redub the classics like Joe Louis fights and Sugar Ray, doesn't mean he's actually involved with the sport as in-depth as other commentators. Farhood does telecasts for local shows and broadway boxing, he's always pretty involved with the amateurs as well. Hell, even Gus Johnson will occasionally call a Golden Gloves tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by hebi View Post
                  And like I said, I enjoy Merchant for the same reason. He's hilarious, my only problem is that he's also ripping in when it's a good night of boxing. He's kind of the comedy relief for me, that will occasionally drop a gem of commentary if you can get past all of his misquotes (there are usually at least 4 per telecast).

Comment

gus johnson shouldstick to football and tarver seems akward....

larry merchant is a grumpy old fart but i like lampley steward and bernstien...

i think hob puts on a better production showtime iis good too though

Comment

Working...
                    X