No announcement yet.

If Abril hadn't been robbed...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    Well maybe he's not punishing these guys cause he either doesn't possess the power to or doesn't know how to punch. Also, not just the Rios fight but he's beaten all these other guys and got robbed, like Lundy who you mentioned. The politics in boxing are sad. A guy like this might have an ugly style but deserves his chance to shine. Rios was the one engaging in half of those clinches due to fatigue anyway. He was given a chance vs Rios nd was robbed blindly of it and no justice was done about it.
    Mike Tyson once said (repeating the words of Cus D'Amato) that punching power is something you're born with. Abril simply hasn't got it in him. Too bad, a little more power would make him much more marketable.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      It's always a pleasure to read your posts, New England, but this one is particularly insightful. Every word laser-like.

The word "schooled" gets thrown around a lot. But that's exactly the word for what Abril did to Rios. Richard's style is ugly, but he put on an exhibition of boxing skills that was beautiful to watch. Literally a clinic. It was as if Abril was saying, "Okay, right here, he rushed me, this is how you tie someone up." "Here, he threw a wide right, watch how I counter." "This is the proper way to use the 'Philly shell' in close." Textbook stuff. For the unsophisticated fan, boring. For someone who appreciates the science and art of boxing, a master class.

Unfortunately, as you've so accurately stated, Richie's style won't attract enough fans. If he had real KO power he'd be a beast (and would create the necessary excitement). I just hope he starts getting a fair shake.
      Exactly. The dude knew when was the proper time to do what. He knew when to clinch, he knew when to counter and he knew wren to give Rios the shoulder. A good example would be Molina vs Kirkland. Molina's game plan was to just straight up clinch to stop Kirklands attack while Abril used more tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        a W over rios would have changed abril's life. he doesnt even have a fight scheduled, and nobody is calling him out. at the least he would have likely gotten a rematch at 140 with rios for the biggest payday of his career.
        And this is ultimately what bothers me the most. "Robbery" is the literal term. These "judges" that scored against Richie are criminals in a very real sense. Most of us look past that because it's so commonplace in boxing…almost a damn tradition, quite frankly. It's real easy to take cover behind the plausible notion that "nobody's perfect". But no one can tell me that an honest professional judge would be capable of making such a bad call. What those larcenous bastards did was rob a man who put in honest work of his hard earned compensation. Abril's record will always reflect that unjust loss. In today's version of the sport, we all know how critical fans can be of the numbers in the "L" column. And a win against Rios would've immediately set Richard up for at least one big payday. Thieves....

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          Exactly. The dude knew when was the proper time to do what. He knew when to clinch, he knew when to counter and he knew wren to give Rios the shoulder. A good example would be Molina vs Kirkland. Molina's game plan was to just straight up clinch to stop Kirklands attack while Abril used more tactics.
          Good point. The two performances can't be compared. Abril didn't come to smother Rios all night. He clinched when it was appropriate to do so. Much of the time Richard stood in the pocket and gave his adversary the shoulder. Brandon could do nothing. It was professor versus student in there.

The more I think about it, the more disgusted I get. Rios is delusional enough -- or arrogant enough -- to go around claiming that "win" as just. I don't necessarily expect the kid to admit he lost, but he could at least have the decency to keep his mouth shut about Abril and his performance. Brandon was severely outclassed by a guy who forgot more about boxing than “Bam Bam” ever learned.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            it's his style. it's what keeps him from getting the W and what keeps him from becoming popular.

he's not really punishing these guys, and it lends itself to being robbed. he's winning these fights. the man can easily be undefeated. he picked rios apart. used his height, leaned on him, turned the corner, took the steam off of his power. he schooled him. but he didn't beat him up, and they robbed him

if the guy was american and a knockout puncher he'd have a much better shot. his style is probably never going to make him a top draw. even a negative fighter like floyd mayweather is more pleasing on the eyes to the layman, with his picture perfect counters that literally anybody can recognize as spectacular.

abril just flat out beats guys with boxing. he'll never be a star. if he keeps beating these top guy's he'll just get shelved. a boxer like him at the top is bad for business.

abril is the man. i got a chance to speak with him through an interpreter after he got robbed against hank lundy. if you want to PM me i'll go into further detail. it's nothing horribly interesting, i'm not going to discuss my credentials here.

he can also move up. he's got the size. 140 or perhaps even 147. he's not knocking guys out at 135, anyway. if he can take the punches (which i think he can,) then he'll do well at the higher weights.
            couldn't agree with your post more

Comment

Miguel vazquez the top dawg at 135.

Comment

he will likely become avoided by most at 135 unfortunately

Comment

I heard Abril vs. Rees is a done deal for the WBA

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    And this is ultimately what bothers me the most. "Robbery" is the literal term. These "judges" that scored against Richie are criminals in a very real sense. Most of us look past that because it's so commonplace in boxing…almost a damn tradition, quite frankly. It's real easy to take cover behind the plausible notion that "nobody's perfect". But no one can tell me that an honest professional judge would be capable of making such a bad call. What those larcenous bastards did was rob a man who put in honest work of his hard earned compensation. Abril's record will always reflect that unjust loss. In today's version of the sport, we all know how critical fans can be of the numbers in the "L" column. And a win against Rios would've immediately set Richard up for at least one big payday. Thieves....
                    Yea, I bet you these so called judges never fought in their lives and dunno what it's like going thru training and losing the weight. If they did, they would probably not be robbing these guys. Well, they probably would cause money talks I guess....
                    Originally posted by garfios View Post
                    I heard Abril vs. Rees is a done deal for the WBA
                    That is correct. But for a guy who tends to get robbed, I do not like his chances in the UK. If he does win tho, that belt might be a blessing.

Comment

both abril and vasquez suffer from the same issues. i think both of them are among the best boxers from 130 to 147. the issue is they dont have fans who are particularly interested in their style. vasquez is mexican but his style is not entertaining to many in the mexican fanbase. so even tho hes probably one of the best mexican fighters in this current era, he gets next to no attention. he gets **** fights while other, less skilled mexican fighters get heaped with praise. kinda sad. same thing with fighters like abril and molina. first of all abril is cuban, there isnt really a strong cuban fanbase for boxing in american. secondly, his style is just ehhh, so not many wanna see him fight. hes a spoiler. its very hard for a spoiler to win a fight in this era of super mega stars who bring action to a fight. the most sucessful spoiler has been bernard hopkins by far, but even he wasnt always a spoiler. he had big moments where he looked like a dominating fighter not just a dominating boxer. sad thats the way the boxing world works but it does for now and it will until fans start tp get more educated on what they are actually seeing.

Comment

Working...
                      X