Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting in the ring, 90% mental/10% physical?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting in the ring, 90% mental/10% physical?

I'm told that Lamon Brewster stated that boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical, do you agree with this statement? ........Rockin'
    Yes, boxing is mostly mental
    68.00%
    No, boxing is more physical
    20.00%
    I think that Lamon Brewster made these statements immediately following his bout with Klitschko
    12.00%

The poll is expired.

50/50 for me, it takes a lot to step into the ring with an opponent and keep your composure during the rounds even if you're getting stomped on.

It also takes mad physical shape to last those rounds and take all those shots

A lot of the guys i spar at the gym quit after the first round and find excuses as to not go on anymore even though you can clearly see they are not exhausted they just give up, i usually go the full scheduled rounds even if i'm getting stomped by a bigger guy

Both mentality and physical shape count the exact same

Comment

You can have all the tools to pull it off but if there's a mental block stopping you it could prevent you from succeeding, zab Judah comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
        50/50 for me, it takes a lot to step into the ring with an opponent and keep your composure during the rounds even if you're getting stomped on.

It also takes mad physical shape to last those rounds and take all those shots

A lot of the guys i spar at the gym quit after the first round and find excuses as to not go on anymore even though you can clearly see they are not exhausted they just give up, i usually go the full scheduled rounds even if i'm getting stomped by a bigger guy

Both mentality and physical shape count the exact same

you do realize that your words are contradicting to Lamont Brewsters words..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
          You can have all the tools to pull it off but if there's a mental block stopping you it could prevent you from succeeding, zab Judah comes to mind
          what about having the sharpest mind in the world but not being in shape. Once you're tired in a fight your mind will not be working anywhere close to peak performance..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            you do realize that your words are contradicting to Lamont Brewsters words..........Rockin'
            i know and no disrespect to the atg but everyone has his opinion robin!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              what about having the sharpest mind in the world but not being in shape. Once you're tired in a fight your mind will not be working anywhere close to peak performance..........Rockin'
              Works both ways I guess but it's easier to get in shape than to change the way you think imo though saying that having a good mind but being in bad shape your more likely to make excuses than someone who's in shape but has a bad mind but being in great physical shape should boost your confidence anyway

Comment

Boxing is definitely more mental than physical.

You can always train yourself to be in better shape, the option is there, you just need the proper motivation.

Mental aspect, not so much. You cant really train yourself to be mentally prepared. You CAN gain confidence over time from training, etc. Some people are more determined, disciplined, and hungrier than others. Thats why boxing was originally a sport for the middle to lower class people. It was a way for them to escape poverty and find success or fame. Thats why so many boxers come from poor backgrounds, especially the good ones, they are mentally tough from growing up having nothing. They are hungry for success because it doesnt come easy.

You have to mentally have the drive to succeed in boxing. It isnt a team sport, its only you and the other guy in the ring, only one can win (usually).

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
                  What if you have the mental fortitude of an aztec warrior, but youre grossly out of shape, slow, and you hit like Terrel?

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                    What if you have the mental fortitude of an aztec warrior, but youre grossly out of shape, slow, and you hit like Terrel?
                    Obviously he's assuming boxers are in shape and not fat pieces of ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X