Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tebow's Faith Getting Too Much Credit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
    I honestly think u didnt get it right away lol
    Lol nah, I wouldn't even have posted that if I didn't get it

Comment

Just wanted to clarify, because I read the study quite a while ago. It's all in their meditation practices and mental strength. Of course, you could argue that that mental strength comes from God, but I try to stick to arguments that have science behind them.
      They're Buddhists. They don't believe in God (or god or gods for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        They're Buddhists. They don't believe in God (or god or gods for that matter).
        Actually Vajrayana Buddhism, being syncretic with traditional Tibetan religion, places quite significant importance on gods, deities, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
          Actually Vajrayana Buddhism, being syncretic with traditional Tibetan religion, places quite significant importance on gods, deities, etc.
          Buddhism is an offshoot of Hinduism which is of course all about having awesome gods. I thought that the awesome gods in Tibetan Buddhism were reimagined as vehicles.

Comment

In the words of Bob Fitzsimmons:

COURAGE THE KEYNOTE OF A BOXER'S SUCCESS

Lack of Self-confidence Often Contributes to the Defeat of a Good Fighter

This is a lesson on courage. There is no trait of character which a boxer needs more than this. Courage of the highest order—not only physically, but morally—is essential to success as a pugilist. I say "as a pugilist," because it is in that direction that my experience lies. However, I have learned that this question of moral as well as physical courage is really the keynote to success.

There never was a boxing champion, or a champion, in fact, in any line of sports, who was a coward. They have all been fearless, and in nearly every instance morally superior men. Their sense of right and wrong has been as keenly developed as has their physical superiority. They have not only felt their power of mastery over their less fortunate fellow-men, but they have been possessed of the moral courage that comes with the knowledge of right.

It is courage that tells in every walk of life. This it is that leads the gallant soldier to victory; that carries the stout-hearted cycle champion under the wire a winner. The courageous man knows not the word "failure." His password is "victory," and his golden rule reads, "Be sure you are right, then go ahead."

The boy who is learning to box must be courageous. He must not know the word fear. It is not physical strength, or even the cleverness that comes to an expert boxer, that wins battles. It is moral courage. If a boxer be ever so clever, be he ever so strong, he cannot win battles unless he is courageous. And he cannot be courageous unless he has the moral strength of "right."

Take "Right" and pit it against "Might," and in nine instances out of ten "Right" will score the victory. So be sure you are right before you go ahead.

Another element that contributes largely to the success of a boxer is self-confidence. If a man is not self-confident he cannot hope to win battles. I have noticed in my experience in the ring how often a boxer will be defeated simply owing to lack of self-confidence. Men whom I have met and defeated in a round or two have gone out a few weeks or months later and put up wonderful fights.

Won in Other Battles

These men have taken blows and received punishment which I never dreamed of inflicting upon them, and come out of those battles victorious. In their contests with me they simply lacked confidence. I had gained a reputation as a hard-hitter and winner of battles, and it was therefore lack of moral selfreliance that defeated these men as soon as I landed a few blows. The blows I gave them had neither the speed nor the force of those which the same men took unflinchingly from men of no reputation. Therefore, do not forget that you must be morally courageous before you can hope to win battles in the struggle of life. There is no better moral in the world to follow than this, "Be sure you are right, then go ahead."

prayer builds courage, and self confidence.

religion builds a foundation of hard work.

should he really be thanking himself for his work ethics? or is he doing the right thing and thankin religion and god for insilliting that work ethic?
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 12-15-2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Look at the two bums team up on skip,Chris Carter was a good receiver that never inspired anyone,he got jealous when Randy Moss came to town and he is now jealous of winning receivers like irvin getting in when he didnt,he is a jealous clown and a fringe hall of famer at best let him wait like they did Art Monk which by the way was the much better receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                Look at the two bums team up on skip,Chris Carter was a good receiver that never inspired anyone,he got jealous when Randy Moss came to town and he is now jealous of winning receivers like irvin getting in when he didnt,he is a jealous clown and a fringe hall of famer at best let him wait like they did Art Monk which by the way was the much better receiver.
                "how many rings do u have"

That line by skip was the deepest burn on that debate.

Comment

Fact is Tebow is a good football player, his faith plays into his mentality but nothing else... He's not been lucky he's been well trained... Dwight Howard was hella Religious to...

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post

Stop it Chris is 1st2nd Ballot HOFERs... lot of closed minded people dont unerstand how Tebows is doing it but fact is/// If Bo Jackson played QB for the Raiders back in the day they woulda been good too... Only thing Tebow needs to do is keep working on his mechinics as a qb everything else in on par obviously and winning games/...add a cannon wit a little accuracy where looking at Brett Rodgers..lol

Comment

i dont know why Wrs and analysts think they can evaluate a qb so good. They have never played the position, if john fox started tebow this last 7 games its cause he thought tebow could get the job done and 7-1 record tells me hes doing just that. All these tebow-haters dont know what the hell there talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X