Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Freedom: Business man to pay $15 million to free 7 sailors from Pirates

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Freedom: Business man to pay $15 million to free 7 sailors from Pirates

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-New...istani-sailors

Pakistani tycoon will pay $15 million to free 7 Pakistani sailors from Somali pirates.

On the one hand, what an act of generosity. Stories like this make me optimistic about Pakistan's future. There are many good hearted people in Pakistan.

On the other hand, what a bad precedent. If he pays up, kidnappings will rise.

..........if my kids were kidnapped I really wouldn't care about the precedent I'd be setting by paying the people that could kill them if I didn't pay

Comment

But this is a private citizen paying from his own pocket.

Comment

There should be a multilateral maritime security force in the Indian ocean to protect against those Somali pirates.

Comment

i know i'd be singing a different tune if it was my family being ransomed, but that guy just single handedly created a boatload of new pirates.

Comment

a bad precedent indeed...

on the other hand, the companies should just beef up security using some of that 15 million or sponsor a security upgrade for the pakistani coast guard...

but then again... how we really know for sure that their coast guard is not in any way conniving with the pirates?

Comment

Now I want to watch The Life Aquatic

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tooth
                there is....
                word?

Is it ineffective?

They are also holding some Egyptians, Lebanese and a few other folks.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  a bad precedent indeed...

on the other hand, the companies should just beef up security using some of that 15 million or sponsor a security upgrade for the pakistani coast guard...

but then again... how we really know for sure that their coast guard is not in any way conniving with the pirates?
                  I think its a private vessel, rather then a Pakistani naval vessel.

Pakistan is NOT tied to the pirates. Why would they kidnap Pakistanis if that was the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tooth
                    no they've had some successes.

the somalis ain't no criminal masterminds.

i remember reading they tried to hijack a danish or dutch destroyer or something a while back. can't remember the exact details. dumbasses got shot up by the danish or dutch marines.

it's a big ocean , man. can't be everywhere.
                    Yah the Somalis are lightly armed in relative terms, AK 47's, RPGs etc. A few missile craft could **** them up?

I just hope the 7 sailors are safe.

Comment

Working...
                    X