No announcement yet.

People must be blind when it comes to Chavez vs. Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People must be blind when it comes to Chavez vs. Whitaker

and not just the judges. Ive heard people scream about how this fight was the 'worst robbery of all time' and how Whitaker 'schooled' Chavez, which are both huge exaggerations.

yes, Whitaker obviously deserved to win. lets get that out of the way. but if you havent seen a worse robbery before, than you havent watched much boxing. quite honestly, you could make a case for Chavez winning rounds 1,2,5,6,9, and 12. now, to give him all these rounds is really questionable, to say the least...I ended up giving him rounds 1,2,9 and 12, with round 6 being even(or 116-113 Whitaker)...having rewatched the fight last night. It was pretty much the same score as the last time I watched it.

in no way was Chavez schooled. rounds 7 and 8? ok yea, those were incredible rounds for Whitaker, and really show off how skilled he was. but those two rounds werent the whole fight. Pavlik-Hopkins was 'getting schooled', Chavez vs. Whitaker was nothing like that.

I know the horrible judging turns people off when it comes to this fight and makes people hostile toward Chavez, but honestly, this was a very entertaining fight with lots of competitive rounds. and Chavez probebly did better than anyone else did in Whitaker's career up to that point and up until the 1st Rivera fight years later, although you could make a case for Buddy McGirt...and maybe actually Paez.
    its a real good fight with tons of skill and is actually foul-filled too...I recommend it to people that havent seen it before.

I agree with you. Whitaker definately deserved to win the fight and I would classify it as a robbery, however it is far from the worst robbery in the history of the sport as many claim it to be. Probably not even Pernell's worst robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      and not just the judges. Ive heard people scream about how this fight was the 'worst robbery of all time' and how Whitaker 'schooled' Chavez, which are both huge exaggerations.

yes, Whitaker obviously deserved to win. lets get that out of the way. but if you havent seen a worse robbery before, than you havent watched much boxing. quite honestly, you could make a case for Chavez winning rounds 1,2,5,6,9, and 12. now, to give him all these rounds is really questionable, to say the least...I ended up giving him rounds 1,2,9 and 12, with round 6 being even(or 116-113 Whitaker)...having rewatched the fight last night. It was pretty much the same score as the last time I watched it.

in no way was Chavez schooled. rounds 7 and 8? ok yea, those were incredible rounds for Whitaker, and really show off how skilled he was. but those two rounds werent the whole fight. Pavlik-Hopkins was 'getting schooled', Chavez vs. Whitaker was nothing like that.

I know the horrible judging turns people off when it comes to this fight and makes people hostile toward Chavez, but honestly, this was a very entertaining fight with lots of competitive rounds. and Chavez probebly did better than anyone else did in Whitaker's career up to that point and up until the 1st Rivera fight years later, although you could make a case for Buddy McGirt...and maybe actually Paez.
      its a real good fight with tons of skill and is actually foul-filled too...I recommend it to people that havent seen it before.
      I wouldn't call it the worst decision in history. But make no mistake about it:it was bad. Very bad. Especially for a fight of that magnitude which made it even more corrupt(see WBC, Suliman,King) When you have judges taking points away(Mickey Vann) it ranks up there as one of the worst. Chavez got schooled in my opinion and looked like ****. Most picked Chavez to win and considered him the best fighter in the world at the time.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 11-03-2008, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
        I agree with you. Whitaker definately deserved to win the fight and I would classify it as a robbery, however it is far from the worst robbery in the history of the sport as many claim it to be. Probably not even Pernell's worst robbery.

I agree. Whitaker-Jose Luis Ramirez 1 was worse. The fact that they scored that one for Ramirez made it the worse I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          I wouldn't call it the worst decision in history. But make no mistake about it:it was bad. Very bad. Especially for a fight of that magnitude which made it even more corrupt(see WBC, Suliman,King) When you have judges taking points away(Mickey Vann) it ranks up there as one of the worst. Chavez got schooled in my opinion and looked like ****. Most picked Chavez to win and considered him the best fighter in the world at the time.
          how did Chavez get 'schooled' when it was a close, competitive fight? and it wasnt exactly Chavez's best performance, but I really have no idea how you can say he looked like ****.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post

agreed its the ******s that come with the same **** that Hagler beat Leonard who try to claim Whitaker won virtually every single round

i saw the same fight you did

Comment

people like to think Dela Hoya got robbed against Tito when in reallity it was a damn close fight that could of been called a draw but could also have gone Tito's way cause he was the one forcing the fight towards the end

Comment

Worst robbery in the history of the sport is Whitaker vs JLR. Imagine getting beat every round and NOT be competitive in any...then winning the fight. By the way, I gave JCC 4 rounds and sorry, I still gotta say JCC got schooled.

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
                  The Ramirez fight was worse because it went down as an actual L.

Comment

Dwiens made a thread very similar to this one quite a while back and he echoed exactly the same points you raised that is was a close fight and not a robbery that it is made out to be

Comment

Working...
                    X