Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a more dominant performance as a HUGE underdog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald Curry at 147 was amazing...a future all-time great. That was until he ran into no-hoper (against Curry, that's what he was going in) Lloyd Honeyghan. Honeyghan hurt Curry early and then thrashed him to a 6th rd TKO win.

Honeyghan was a bigger underdog against Curry than Hopkins was against ANYBODY....and he beat Curry more thoroughly than Hopkins did the favorites he fought.

Comment

Buster Douglas wasnt dominant...and he was knocked out and was on the floor for over 10 seconds easily...Tyson was on the floor for about 9.5 seconds and the ****in referee counted it as a knockout...

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySnipes View Post
        Buster Douglas wasnt dominant...and he was knocked out and was on the floor for over 10 seconds easily...Tyson was on the floor for about 9.5 seconds and the ****in referee counted it as a knockout...
        Octavio failed to pick up the count from the knockdown timekeeper but Buster beat the ref's count (slow, mistaken, or otherwise) and that's all he needed to do. It's obvious that he could have gotten up whenever he wanted to, and just look at how much fight he had left after the fight resumes. He had enough to really start whoopin on Tyson after he himself was hurt and down from a vicious uppercut. Tyson on the other hand was ALL DONE when he barely beat the count in the 10th and he had no chance whatsoever to recover had he been allowed to continue fighting, so...get a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          Donald Curry at 147 was amazing...a future all-time great. That was until he ran into no-hoper (against Curry, that's what he was going in) Lloyd Honeyghan. Honeyghan hurt Curry early and then thrashed him to a 6th rd TKO win.

Honeyghan was a bigger underdog against Curry than Hopkins was against ANYBODY....and he beat Curry more thoroughly than Hopkins did the favorites he fought.
          That certainly qualifies. I understand that Micky Duff was the one who clocked that Curry might be "gone" and pushed Honeygun into the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySnipes View Post

Tyson was schooled, pummelled, and left groping around the floor blindly trying to get his mouthpiece back in.

Still hurts 21.5 years later, doesn't it?

Comment

Ali v Foreman would surely qualify? Not sure about betting but anyone who say's they picked Ali for that is lying. Foreman threw a lot of leather but Ali controlled that fight from the 1st bell

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                That certainly qualifies. I understand that Micky Duff was the one who clocked that Curry might be "gone" and pushed Honeygun into the fight.
                I've been a hardcore fan since '81, and to me it's the biggest upset of my time. Sure, Douglas-Tyson was on a much larger scale, but I just thought Curry was unbeatable at 147, while thinking tyson could be beaten (not by Douglas, however)

Comment

I've been a hardcore fan since '81, and to me it's the biggest upset of my time. Sure, Douglas-Tyson was on a much larger scale, but I just thought Curry was unbeatable at 147, while thinking tyson could be beaten (not by Douglas, however)
                  I'd go along with that, I thought Tyson was beatable and what Douglas did was the way to beat him however I didn't think Douglas would be the one to do it.
                  Honeyghan I knew had talent but Curry was immense (people forget how good I think) and whilst he was mid 20s I didn't think he was anything near ready for Curry or indeed a title shot.

Comment

Tyson was schooled, pummelled, and left groping around the floor blindly trying to get his mouthpiece back in.

Still hurts 21.5 years later, doesn't it?
                    lol, ya Tyson was robbed!

Comment

Only by Don King

Comment

Working...
                      X