Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolution and inheritance of Acquired Characters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hous View Post
    Yes, that's a genetic mutation to give her long fingers. Shes a good rockclimber because she has long fingers not vice versa.

If you dont use it you lose it. We are a product of what our DNA thinks is the perfect form for surviving in our environment. Since she uses her hands alot, her DNA thinks its pretty important to keep. However if he mate has smaller fingers then there will be a compromise (medium size fingers) because both DNA's think they have it right.

EDIT:

I think her fingers would be stronger, fatter, and more manely aswell. Her arms will be long and slender but muscluar.

Its important to understand evolution takes hundred of thousands of years for subtle changes. Her offspring would have to continue to reproduce with other highly skilled rock climbers who come from rock climbing backgrounds. For this reason I believe its unlikely to see any super rock climbers in our near future.
    the girl had about 15% bodyfat, i think, it was about the same as a proffesional track runner anyway, i wish i could find the documentary to verify on stuff

but this is what im sayin, yea, course if you dont use it you lose it, but if you have a family of boxers, your gonna have it easy, and will have a natural nack for doing things

and it's not just coincidence the greatest atheletes in boxing come from a family of boxers(roy jones and floyd mayweather)

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
      You could argue that good looks are necessary for survival or at least the survival of your genes. Makes people attracted to you thus increasing the chances of reproducing............
      I hate to say it but ugly people can reproduce with ugly people. If given the choice of never having sex or banging a ugly chick, what do you think you would chose? I really don't think good looks are important as far as evolution goes. Men want to spread their seed everywhere, women want to find a good man. In primitive times men took what they wanted much like animals. So what the woman wanted was all that important. Plus the woman was more interested in her own survival so she would go after the alpha male who would get food and keep other aggressors away.

Even today in a age of contraception pills and rubbers good looks still are all that important to evolution. Theirs 51:100 ratio of women, none of them are willing to go unmarried and not reproduce because they can't get a attractive man. They will find someone, they have to. Noone stays single and doesn't reproduce unless they just dont want to. We are programed to want to reproduce.

Comment

Firstly the guy is actually talking about whether long term environmental factors will affect the genes passed from 1 generation to the next.

I personally don't think it's all black and white. I think this is a grey area.

Purely because i don't think there is enough research done on this area.

I'll tell you guys what i think.

I think most inherited genes are passed down without any change in their dna compositions since we all know that genes+environment = phenotype and genotype stays the same.

genotype = what are your genes actually code for (i.e let's say height your genes say u will be 6'5 tall)

phenotype = what your genes actually produced while interacting with the environment...i.e if your genes say u r 6'5 tall but u r born to a poor family and you don't eat enough protein then you will never be 6'5 tall because of food being the limiting factor.

So we know genes+environment = change in what you look like physically.

now we all know about chemical interactions which can change the body so i'm postulating that perhaps there might be some chemical changes caused by the environment (i.e you boxing long term) that might alter some genetic information stored in our genes. (we do know heavy chemical change will alter our genes i.e radioactive elements or chemicals such as thalidomide)

Of course i have no proof of this but this is just a theory.

but generally the genes passed down are just copies of your own genes. But if you are a great boxer and you TEACH yr son those skills and he by luck inherited yr great boxing genes then he will also have a chance to be great or even greater if he has a better gene set than yours (i.e some special genes from his mom)

Comment

I hate to say it but ugly people can reproduce with ugly people. If given the choice of never having sex or banging a ugly chick, what do you think you would chose? I really don't think good looks are important as far as evolution goes. Men want to spread their seed everywhere, women want to find a good man. In primitive times men took what they wanted much like animals. So what the woman wanted was all that important. Plus the woman was more interested in her own survival so she would go after the alpha male who would get food and keep other aggressors away.

Even today in a age of contraception pills and rubbers good looks still are all that important to evolution. Theirs 51:100 ratio of women, none of them are willing to go unmarried and not reproduce because they can't get a attractive man. They will find someone, they have to. Noone stays single and doesn't reproduce unless they just dont want to. We are programed to want to reproduce.
          Of course unattractive people reproduce as well but good looking people have an advantage and a wider selection of people they can choose from. Same can be said about other animals such as birds. Those with the brightest feathers will gain the most attention but the others still end up mating.

Technology advancements are move much quicker than evolution, we still have traits that now seem irrelevant and pointless given the structure of today's society........

Comment

Originally posted by .-|Akrobatic|-. View Post
            the girl had about 15% bodyfat, i think, it was about the same as a proffesional track runner anyway, i wish i could find the documentary to verify on stuff

but this is what im sayin, yea, course if you dont use it you lose it, but if you have a family of boxers, your gonna have it easy, and will have a natural nack for doing things

and it's not just coincidence the greatest atheletes in boxing come from a family of boxers(roy jones and floyd mayweather)
            Ofc its no coincidence that Floyd Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of this area. He acquired the genetics of his parents. However his parents abilities are not there because of boxing. Evolution takes time, hundreds of thousands of years. His genetics are a product of that time. Just how great acrobatics are great not because their parents were good at arobics, but great because their ancestors did some action that their DNA felt was necessary for survival so it kept it.

A better example is if Im a professional shotputter. My child will be born with great uperbody strength and balance. My child isnt a great shotputter because i am. Hes a great shotputter because for hundreds of thousands of years our ancestors used a lot of uperbody strength and had great balance.

Does that make sense?

Comment

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-ghost-in-our-genes/

this is good

Comment

Of course unattractive people reproduce as well but good looking people have an advantage and a wider selection of people they can choose from. Same can be said about other animals such as birds. Those with the brightest feathers will gain the most attention but the others still end up mating.

Technology advancements are move much quicker than evolution, we still have traits that now seem irrelevant and pointless given the structure of today's society........
                Its not evolution unless the haves survive and the have nots die. The birds you talk about are not evolving because of their looks. Plus animals are kind of assholish and will rape other birds so attractiveness is irrelevant because they both reproduce/survive.

Comment

Its not evolution unless the haves survive and the have nots die. The birds you talk about are not evolving because of their looks. Plus animals are kind of assholish and will rape other birds so attractiveness is irrelevant because they both reproduce/survive.
                  If that was the case then what would be the point in birds having bright coloured feathers?

Comment

If that was the case then what would be the point in birds having bright coloured feathers?
                    Your getting different species of birds confused. Theres not a species of bird where they could come out grey or black or yellow/red/blue.

Comment

Your getting different species of birds confused. Theres not a species of bird where they could come out grey or black or yellow/red/blue.
                      lol. What I'm trying to say is that from an evolution standpoint there is a reason why certain species of birds (or other animals for that matter) have brightly coloured features.

Comment

Working...
                      X