90's foreman Vs 90's tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90's foreman Vs 90's tyson

who would win

i think if foreman can get a hand on tysons shoulders he can keep tyson away and pound him from afar but is a 90's foreman quick enough to do that in your opinion

Originally posted by hemichromis
    who would win

i think if foreman can get a hand on tysons shoulders he can keep tyson away and pound him from afar but is a 90's foreman quick enough to do that in your opinion

91' tyson would get him

Comment

who would win

Foreman too big, too strong, too tough mentally.

The following exerpt comes from an article by boxing writer Frank Lotierzo.

In the subsequent months following Foreman's victory over Cooney and Douglas' upset of Tyson, there was much talk of a Foreman-Tyson fight. It was a potential fight that captured the public's imagination, and not just the boxing public. In fact, there were several reports that the fight was signed and about to be announced. ESPN Sportscenter devoted numerous segments on the fight assuming it was going to happen. Shortly thereafter, there was an announcement that Foreman and Tyson were going to fight on the same card. In late April of 1990, it was announced that Foreman and Tyson would be fighting a co-main event on June 16 to be broadcast on HBO. Foreman's opponent was Adilson Rodrigues, who was ranked in the top ten by two of the major sanctioning bodies. Tyson's opponent was the unranked Henry Tillman. Tillman was best known for beating Tyson twice in the 1984 Olympic trials.

At this time, Evander Holyfield was getting ready for his sixth fight as a heavyweight against Seamus McDonagh on June 1 in Atlantic City. On the day of the Holyfield-McDonagh fight, I went to grab something to eat with Georgie Benton, Lou Duva and Bobby Goodman. At the time, Goodman was, and still is, Don King's matchmaker. I've known Benton for many years, through him I met Duva, and was introduced to Goodman a couple weeks before Tyson fought Larry Holmes at the Convention Center in Atlantic City in January 1988.

While we were eating, Benton said, "Bobby, what's up with Foreman and Tyson, how come they're not fighting each other on the 16th? Isn't that the fight that King was trying to make?" He said, " Georgie,You'll never believe this but, ****in' Tyson is scared ****less of Foreman and wants no part of him. I was there when Don was trying to make the fight. He was telling Tyson that Foreman represented huge money, plus he was old and slow and would be no problem. Tyson got up and screamed at King saying, 'I'm not fightin' that ****in' animal, if you love the mother****er so much, you fight him!'"

Goodman stated that Tyson said Foreman was much better than people thought, and was a dangerous fight for any of the top heavyweights. Goodman proceeded to explain how Tyson was calling Foreman a big con man, and explained that the grandpop act was just a front. He said Tyson saw Foreman as trying to set up the boxing world into thinking he was a pushover, knowing that he really wasn't. Tyson said Foreman was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Goodman continued to say that after seeing Tyson's response to King trying to push him into a fight with Foreman, he had no doubt that Tyson had fear of Foreman. He also said that from that point on, he felt that if Foreman and Tyson ever fought, Foreman would knock Tyson out!

Throughout the lunch Goodman, Duva, Benton, and myself shared stories and thoughts on the fight game. Out of the blue Goodman said, "Oh I remember why else Tyson wanted no parts of Foreman. He said that King had found out from Steve Lott that Tyson and Cus D'Amato used to watch the Frazier-Foreman fight over and over." He continued saying that Tyson loved that fight because he was awed by Foreman's power and Frazier's toughness and how he kept getting up after every knockdown. He also said that Lott told King that Cus sat alongside Tyson saying, "It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," never figuring that Foreman could be a possible Tyson opponent down the road. He said that Cus said the only fighters who had a chance against Foreman were, tall rangy fighters who could fight him from a distance while moving away from him, and no way any swarmer could beat Foreman by going to him.

Those are the words of the man who actually had a hand in trying to make the Foreman-Tyson fight, and was in the room when the negotiations broke down. Over the years, I've talked to many people who were involved with Tyson and Foreman and they all verify the story, every one of them. I have also talked to people who were involved with promoting Foreman, including Ron Weathers who promoted a few of Foreman's comeback fights. He told me the same story. The fight didn't happen because of Tyson being fearful of losing to George. Bob Arum also said that he dreamed of making Foreman-Tyson. He said it would be huge money and that Foreman would stop Tyson easier than he did Frazier. This is something Arum often repeated to the press. I have also heard this from George's brother Roy who was his business manager. I co-hosted a boxing show with Roy in Atlantic City for a little less than two months and this was a regular topic when discussing Tyson. Anyone who covered boxing at the time or knew any of the involved parties knew of this. It's not breaking news
      Last edited by SABBATH; 05-14-2006, 01:10 PM.

Comment

who would win

Foreman was strong big and powerful, but he had no footwork, he was too slow for Tyson. Tyson would be just too fast for Foreman at that time and I don't know how long Foreman would stand Tyson's powershots...

Comment

Foreman would end up in the hospital. After Tyson keeps hitting him with everything he got, Foreman refuses to go down, but Tysn finishes him off with a right to the jaw a la past prime Holmes. 74 Foreman had the best chance to stop Tyson, he was not a slow gorilla like in the 90s.

Comment

foreman in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
              foreman in 13.
              13rounds in the 90s? u been smokin to much crack

Comment

90's foreman knockouts out the tyson that fought in the ruddock rematch. Why? Tyson was **** scared and would of lost the fight before he stepped between those ropes. At that stage of his career he wasn't moving that well, he didn't look incredibly fast and he couldn't outbox Foreman nor do i believe he had the ability to KO George. 80's Tyson wins on points, 90's Tyson looses via KO.

Comment

Originally posted by mystyal2k5
                  13rounds in the 90s? u been smokin to much crack
                  oh, yeah. then i guess 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler
                    90's foreman knockouts out the tyson that fought in the ruddock rematch. Why? Tyson was **** scared and would of lost the fight before he stepped between those ropes. At that stage of his career he wasn't moving that well, he didn't look incredibly fast and he couldn't outbox Foreman nor do i believe he had the ability to KO George. 80's Tyson wins on points, 90's Tyson looses via KO.
                    The 90's Foreman is stronger than anyone Tyson fought, had a better chin than anyone Tyson fought, was mentally tougher than anyone Tyson had fought up until Holyfield, and had a harder jab than anyone Tyson fought.

Holyfield said Foreman hit harder than Lennox Lewis, so if we can go by Holyfield who would know better than any one of us, Foreman would be the hardest hitter Tyson ever fought. Anyone that thinks this fight is a mismatch when this version of Tyson was taken 12 rounds by a one-armed, one punch Razor Ruddock is not being objective. Ruddock is inferior to Foreman in all of the above categories.

Comment

Working...
                    X