No announcement yet.

Assess cotto's performance....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    Gotta love the Cottards. First Pac tried to drain Cotto for fighting at a CW @ 150...a catch weight you guys were approving with Margarito and now that he lost he should go back to WW. You guys contradict yourselves so much it's hilarious.
    I don't understand how people are saying Trout looked bigger. Even if its true, Cotto had also done this in the past. At 140 when he fought Corley he came in on fight night at 155.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
      I don't understand how people are saying Trout looked bigger. Even if its true, Cotto had also done this in the past. At 140 when he fought Corley he came in on fight night at 155.
      Watch how "it's Pedro's fault" comments are going to start appearing by the ones who stay (like 2/3 of them). Most of them will be gone in a couple days. So called boxing fans do that.

Comment

Just watched it. I have to say, he didn't look too bad aside from being fatigued and sloppy near the end. I think it was mostly a matter of Trout being so much bigger, dude looked huge in there.

I don't think 147 is a viable option, I actually believe the guy when he says he can't make ww anymore.

I stand by what I said earlier though, fight k9 and retire. He could probably still score a couple of wins at 154 but given the fact that he can't KO the bigger guys, his lack of stamina is gonna have him struggling against just about every contender.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
          He done well, just lost to the bigger, faster man.

I had it even after 8 so he was very much in the fight, Trout just made use of his advantages in the final rounds to pick up a great win.

...he's way too small for true 154lb fighters.
          Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          The size disadvantage against a superior athlete was a bit much for him I thought.
          Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
          Cotto looked like a vet on the down swing in a division that he doesnt belong in.
          Originally posted by mannyman View Post
          I just think Cotto had it all stacked against him. Trout was just too good stylistically, he was busier, faster, slicker and stronger. Cotto wasn't able to get past Trouts jab and when he did get inside Trout tied him up or actually overpowered him.

Having said that Cotto looked slow and slugish, he didn't have any snap in his punches either.
          Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
          154 is just not Cotto's place. He's too small.
          Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
          His stamina still sucks.

...I think we also saw he just can't compete with a true 154 world class fighter.
          Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
          i thought cotto fought a great fight. he was just in there with a very good young fighter who was hungry for the win and fought a slightly better fight. cotto should have gon to the body earlier, other than that im not sure what he could have done diffrent.

his defense was excellent, he was throwing combinations, using his jab to get inside well considering what was in front of him. trout just wouldnt be denied. his size, youth, skills and hunger was too much for miguel to overcome.
          A lot of good remarks in this thread. I copy/pasted the quotes I agree with most. My favorite all-around post is the last. #1Assassin echoes my thoughts very closely.

Miguel fought a good fight, but I've thought for a while that he's seen his best days. In fact, I would say Cotto hasn't been as good since he moved up to 154. Age and the increased size of his opponents are catching up to him. Miguel has no need to take unnecessary punishment, nor to look bad against guys that only a few years ago couldn't carry his spit bucket. The time is fast approaching when Cotto should hang 'em up, if it hasn't arrived already....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
            He didnt look huge compared to Cotto. The reach was just so dramatically different cotto didnt have a chance once Trout found his distance.

Comment

Cotto just looked too slow, too sloppy, and ill equipped to deal with what Trout was showing. Whether that's age, weight, or Trout, it was not a good night for Cotto. He seemed clueless when that fight hit the halfway point.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                1. Cotto dint throw the jab because it was almost impossible do to the size and reach of Trout and Trout was pumping his jab all night making it dificult for Cotto to fet off.

2. He did what he could with all the disadvantages in height, reach, age and speed. I knew Trout was big but conpared to Cotto he looked like a 168 pounder.

3. Right know he should take a break and comeback in june of next year against Bundrage(if he still has the belt) and make the fight in Puerto Rico.

I have to watch the fight again but last night I had it 116-113 in favor of Trout.
                1. With the way Cotto was slipping punches he could have EASILY counter jabbed all night long but he decided to keep moving instead of stickin it to Trout and moving. I'm a huge Cotto an and this pissed me off.

2. It's easier to get someone when you get lower than your opponent, and Cotto reached and put himself in horrible positions MULTIPLE TIMES in that fight. It's not like Trout was able to shut Cotto down. Cotto just got impatient and didn't utilize his fundamentals as well as he usually does.

3. Probably a good idea.

Trout fought a good fight, I won't deny that. What Cotto didn't do he capitalized on over and over again.
                Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 12-02-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Cotto was poor last night. May be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
                    Just watched it. I have to say, he didn't look too bad aside from being fatigued and sloppy near the end. I think it was mostly a matter of Trout being so much bigger, dude looked huge in there.
                    I didn't think he looked that bad either. I just don't think he can be the same wrecking machine he once was at 154, if he's capable of doing it at all.

It's just that Trout was very good, and wasn't one bit intimidated by Cotto or the Garden. If Canelo had come to New York and won as convincingly as that he'd be lauded as having proved himself as the real deal last night.

Comment

Working...
                    X