No announcement yet.

R.i.p ron lyle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Hell fire! That is terrible......poor guy. Nobody would have seen that coming.
    Personally speaking, I'd rather go out that way than suffering from a long lingering illness.

Comment

RIP. terrific fighter. fit right in in the greatest HW era of all time

Frazier - Lyle

jesus is gonna be ringside slugging beers

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        RIP. terrific fighter. fit right in in the greatest HW era of all time

Frazier - Lyle

jesus is gonna be ringside slugging beers

Maybe, maybe not depending on your religious beliefs. Not to kick dirt on him, but he was a murderer.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Maybe, maybe not depending on your religious beliefs. Not to kick dirt on him, but he was a murderer.
          Lyle was also found not guilty of murder (self defense) after he retired.

Comment

When i would talk to big Ron, i would not see the eyes of a mean man, a killer or a murderer. I feel that even if he was once a troubled man (before boxing) i can bet my life that he is a good man. A man worthy of salvation of the highest order. Not a saint like Joe but a good man nontheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Lyle was also found not guilty of murder (self defense) after he retired.
              I have no problem with Lyle, I've known plenty of bad people. But the man was no saint, thats for sure. Than again not many fighters are.

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
              When i would talk to big Ron, i would not see the eyes of a mean man, a killer or a murderer. I feel that even if he was once a troubled man (before boxing) i can bet my life that he is a good man. A man worthy of salvation of the highest order. Not a saint like Joe but a good man nontheless.

Im a non practicing catholic and not very big on religion. It's just not something I think about. When Im dead and going wherever I go I'll worry about it then. But if there is a God (yes I believe) than Lyle is going to have to answer. Im sure Lyle did plenty of bad things he was never caught for and changing later in life can never fix those things. That said, I hope he is in heaven and resting in peace.

Comment

[quote=JAB5239;11487406]I have no problem with Lyle, I've known plenty of bad people. But the man was no saint, thats for sure. Than again not many fighters are./quote]

Definitely agree. Lyle always represented himself well in and out of the ring. Boxing has often been a route of salvation for many ex-cons. But when popular athletes pass away you often get only hear the rosey side of the story. Lyle wasn't put in prison for any white collar crimes. No matter how you regard him, he was a convicted killer.
                Last edited by Scott9945; 11-29-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Lyle may have done some bad things in his life, but he didn't seem like a bad guy to me. Anyways R.I.P. Lyle!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Personally speaking, I'd rather go out that way than suffering from a long lingering illness.

Fair enough.

I'm sure he felt that he had alot more years to live though.

As for all the comments about his past, he certainly seems to have come good since his retirement. His youth work commands respect.......and he never seemed to carry himself like someone who knows that he is guilty of murder. I'm of the opinion that he may well have covered for a friend or that in the least the incident was to a degree accidental.

Comment

i'm no real authority on heaven

would a furlough be appropriate for this sort of thing?

i've always pictured heaven with (among other things certainly,) ridiculous fights:
                      ruben olivares vs 122 lb manny pacquiao
                      ray robinson vs tommy hearns at 154
                      bam bam rios vs himself
                      etc
                      Last edited by New England; 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X