Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Instant Replay in .....BOXING???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glowing Orb View Post
    I say yes, move with the times, it can only help, I do think it should only be viewed by the ref in between rounds otherwise by a '2nd' official..
    It's really not difficult to implement. It's just that there's always resistance to change. Technology will eventually take is rightful place in the evolution of all sports. Change is always slow to come, but come it will....

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      If HBO can show it's viewers multiple slo-mo replays of a specific moment between rounds, a ringside official can certainly be equipped to have access to the same footage at the same time. It wouldn't take long at all. (How long does it take for you to see a replay at home and make a definite judgement?) This would, of course, be an added expense. For one, you would have to pay another official. Equipment, and perhaps compensation to a network, would also be a factor.
      Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
      WTF? why not there is plenty of time they show replays between rounds all the time multiple angles even.....
      Many factors influence a decision. For it to be overturned, there has to be conclusive evidence that the original call was wrong. What if they cant make up their minds in less then a minute

Plus the ref in the ring has to make the decision. If you look at every sport, the main ref is who makes the decision. He is called off the field to the a replay room to make the judgment because he is the ref, the "judge".

Just look at the Vitali Klitscko KO of Solis. This forum was split after watching a million different angles of the replays in super slow-mo. How do you expect a ref to make the call in 45 seconds? and whats the "correct" call?

Comment

It's really not difficult to implement. It's just that there's always resistance to change. Technology will eventually take is rightful place in the evolution of all sports. Change is always slow to come, but come it will....
        Damn you can almost end the thread after this post......spoken like a stand up poster.....

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Many factors influence a decision. For it to be overturned, there has to be conclusive evidence that the original call was wrong. What if they cant make up their minds in less then a minute

Plus the ref in the ring has to make the decision. If you look at every sport, the main ref is who makes the decision. He is called off the field to the a replay room to make the judgment because he is the ref, the "judge".

Just look at the Vitali Klitscko KO of Solis. This forum was split after watching a million different angles of the replays in super slow-mo. How do you expect a ref to make the call in 45 seconds? and whats the "correct" call?
          You make some good points.

The Klitschko-Solis fight was an exception, not the rule. While it's true that there will be the occasional unclear incident, the vast majority of replays are conclusive. That's my definite impression, anyway. In the case of inconclusive replays, the original call stands. No big deal.

As for the official in the ring making the call: who says this must be the case? Nonetheless, I don't see a problem with that scenario, either. When you think about it, there really aren't many controversial moments in most fights to begin with. If there's an important mistake that needs to be addressed, the official at ringside can notify the ref and have him view the footage for himself. As we know from watching at home, most errors are clear and take only a moment to see. Even if there's a break in rhythm, as you've pointed out, it's a small price to pay for accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
            Damn you can almost end the thread after this post......spoken like a stand up poster.....
            Thanks. It's a really interesting thread, though, and it goes beyond boxing.

Comment

You make some good points.

The Klitschko-Solis fight was an exception, not the rule. While it's true that there will be the occasional unclear incident, the vast majority of replays are conclusive. That's my definite impression, anyway. In the case of inconclusive replays, the original call stands. No big deal.

As for the official in the ring making the call: who says this must be the case? Nonetheless, I don't see a problem with that scenario, either. When you think about it, there really aren't many controversial moments in most fights to begin with. If there's an important mistake that needs to be addressed, the official at ringside can notify the ref and have him view the footage for himself. As we know from watching at home, most errors are clear and take only a moment to see. Even if there's a break in rhythm, as you've pointed out, it's a small price to pay for accuracy.
              Yes but having it be inconclusive because you didnt have enough time is not fair.

And the ref part is that you have to have a main ref. You cant have 2 figures who have power over eachother

Another thing is getting replay in all boxing matches, which also isnt feasible

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                Yes but having it be inconclusive because you didnt have enough time is not fair.

And the ref part is that you have to have a main ref. You cant have 2 figures who have power over eachother

Another thing is getting replay in all boxing matches, which also isnt feasible
                I believe I've already addressed the first two points.

You're right about the third point. At first, only higher level fights will benefit from the rule changes. However, given enough time, I'm confident the benefits will be available to everyone.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Boxing must learn to adapt.

Replay is most importantly for the benefit of the fighters, but it can also help with not losing the respect of the fans.

How many times have we watched a replay from our homes or while being in the arena, that shows a clearly missed call, only to have no one do anything about it? Boxing doesn't need to worry about losing us anytime soon, because we're clearly addicted to it, but they might be preventing the growth of the sport by upsetting the less than hardcore fans by not upholding the integrity of the sport.

Why should they stay if the ones in control are continually showing no respect for the fighters or the fans?

They'll start thinking:

"I just saw replay after replay of this guy getting punched in the nuts during a championship bout and you're telling me this is fair? Oh now you're going to count the last low blow as a KD? Perfect. Why do I even bother."

I don't think people are asking for everything all at once, but a little would go a long way in just showing that the sport is taking small steps towards a better direction.

Comment

Originally posted by » HE3R0 « View Post
                    Yes, I agree. Boxing must learn to adapt.

Replay is most importantly for the benefit of the fighters, but it can also help with not losing the respect of the fans.

How many times have we watched a replay from our homes or while being in the arena, that shows a clearly missed call, only to have no one do anything about it? Boxing doesn't need to worry about losing us anytime soon, because we're clearly addicted to it, but they might be preventing the growth of the sport by upsetting the less than hardcore fans by not upholding the integrity of the sport.

Why should they stay if the ones in control are continually showing no respect for the fighters or the fans?

They'll start thinking:

"I just saw replay after replay of this guy getting punched in the nuts during a championship bout and you're telling me this is fair? Oh now you're going to count the last low blow as a KD? Perfect. Why do I even bother."

I don't think people are asking for everything all at once, but a little would go a long way in just showing that the sport is taking small steps towards a better direction.
                    Excellent points. Green K.

Comment

Excellent points. Green K.
                      ^^^^^Agreed...........^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                      X